FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mostanks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i hope this is the correct place to post this :unsure:
anyway,hello all :D i have to shut down my old office tank which housed
1=blood parrot cichlid
2=mytenis roosvelty(spelling :crazy: )silver dollar type fish :)
1=p.senegalus (birchir)
i've found a home for the parrot and i put the silver dollars in my 55g,i got them at the same size(3"s)and now i believe they are full grown (5"s)atleast one is 5" the other 4".Now...my question is,can they be sexed by size?reason i ask is coz i noticed some odd behavior this week,first i saw the smaller one pushing the big 1 around the tank and the the big started doing the same thing to the smaller one,is this some kind of mating thing?

sorry for the long post :S hope i didn't confuse anyone lol.

fbef8eee.jpg

They are definately Silver Dollars...I would suggest a PM to Aquari_Cam, He should be able to give you the run down on them...sorr I couldn't be more helpful

Mostanks, yes it certainly looks like Metynnis Roosevelti aka spotted dollar (I'm a Metynnis Argenteus guy myself) . How long have you had them? At 5" they have probably not stopped growing yet and maybe not reached maturity. I'll pm you with some more info when I get time - sorry kinda busy right now.

btw, do you feed them algae wafers? spirulina brings out the red (pirhana) belly in most strains

aquari cam-sorry for the late response(work)ok-yes i do feed alot of algea wafers and lots of spirulina flakes w/the occasional frozen treats.
i've had them for close to a yr,how big would you say they grow?i thought they were done growing for sure :unsure:

Thank you Aquari_Cam.............thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!

That is MY Silver Dollar.........the Metynnis Roosevelt!!!! It is for sure the closest thing to it anyhow if not an exact MATCH!!!!! I have been wondering what the little devil is and now I am most positive it is a Metynnis Roosevelt. Funny thing is that he tries to mate with my female Red Hook. He shimmies his tail up next to her and vibrates it really fast. I can only assume that's a "Do me baby dance" :lol: :D :p Too bad they won't mate and have babies :wub: :*)

Silver
:*

silver said:
Thank you Aquari_Cam.............thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!
sorry it took so long to reply, I don't visit here so often now and have been on holiday B) ) )

MP Silver, hope it helped! I am learning about these wonderfull fish all the time :D (have forwarded the mail I sent to Mostanks - it might make you change your mind -_- ).

Mostanks, I'd go for 14-15 cms (6") for most strains of SD. Sadly I lost one a couple of weeks ago (whilst I was away) and returning from holiday find another has pop-eye so I guess I'm no expert :unsure: :blink:

AC B)

Most reactions

Back