my water smells!

nickylu

Reaction score
ive noticed a smell every time i open the tank. this might be normal but im unsure. it smells like seaweed so it may be normal ?.
i do 25% water changes once a week.

also having bad problems with electric, its on now but it was off for 40 hrs. the temp went down to 21 deg. i done my best to keep the temp up by changing heated water and covering the tank with loads of blankets. it may become again as carlisle in the uk are having bad floods at the mo. is there any thing anyone can suggest in case it happens again :sad: . both lfs have been flooded, i hope their fish are ok :-( . mine seem to be ok ill have to keep my eye on them.

I've noticed my water smell kind of like that (I think) before, but that was when I had a little to mch algae growth. I haven't smelled it in months though because I've got a pleco that doesn't allow ANY algae to grow :lol:

Hello i am new to this also but i have read that if the electric is turned off for more than an hour the oxygen in the tank fades and a tank with little oxygen smells like bad eggs. My tank normaly smells of wet peat which it seems yours smells of, i would continue to keep the tank warm and open the lid to increase more oxygen as the air pump has been swithced off for quite a while.I have oxygen tablets just incase my power goes off, maybe you should try and get some. As i said i am only a beginner and would let an expert tell you more about this, hopefully sylvia will be here soon :) .
I hope you are ok with this bad weather the uk is having,its not to bad in the east where i am.Good luck :D

I hate when I lose power around here, because it's out for AT LEAST 5 hours.

What smells 'bad' is a matter of personal preference I think. I love the smell of my tank, it smells alive to me. My wife just says it stinks. :lol:

Griz said:
What smells 'bad' is a matter of personal preference I think. I love the smell of my tank, it smells alive to me. My wife just says it stinks. :lol:
that's true :D I like the way skunks smell :lol:

hi thanks for all the help, the smell wont bother me now i know its ok and its normal. its only while feeding or cleaning that you can smell it. plus i do have an algae problem at the mo. i do have a plec, but some algae he has no interest in. ill get there.

so far so good on the electric side, but we are due more bad weather on tue night and possibly more floods. ill try to get some oxygen tablets today just in case. thanks for all the advice :thumbs:

makeshift heater:

take coke bottle, fill with hot (not boiling) water, put in tank.

fill up again when cold.

simple but better than adding water directly to the tank.

good luck with the weather up there.

:D

Most reactions

Back