My Topic Got Removed?

theres a member on here who had a 9x3x3 in his parents house check it out

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/309196-its-here-my-566-gallon-9ftx3ftx3ft-tank/page__p__2562978__fromsearch__1#entry2562978

dont know why people thought it was so outrages before :rolleyes:

The thread is locked, so...

so its locked doesnt stop you reading it to get some info though does it

Thank you for taking me serious this time, I know that before I never replied but I was away from the computer and catching up on TV.

The flat will be downstairs and we will have a yard, should I consider building it outside in a shed type of thing for the weight?

@ I will also be getting a pro in to be building the stand for this don't want any risks.

We have a member here who has built a tank outside in a shed, the thread is here:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/318731-1000-us-gal-project/

I believe his budget to build this was around £10000 including base, shed, tank build, having water piped to it, filtration, etc etc. What's your budget? Do you have ample savings to consider a build this size? Are these in addition to the savings that you need to have to move house (ie healthy deposit/conveyancing fees if buying, deposit and rent in advance if renting). What will you do if something breaks? Will you have a contingency fund to cover any emergency situations? This needs to be separate to any rainy day savings you have for home related emergencies. You should also consider ongoing running costs - electricity to heat and light it, water rates if you're on a meter.

You should consider what you will do if and when you move house. If this is a starter home then very few people stay in them once children come along because their priorities change and they want larger gardens and ease of parking and to be near good schools, etc etc.

Is this flat going to be rented or owned? If it's rented you'll definitely need permission and have to bear in mind the possibility that the LL will not want to renew the tenancy at some point. If it is owned will you be the freeholder of the property? If not you'll need permission from the freeholder and they may not give it.

Before you think about anything else you need to think about these fundamental points. If you can't answer them with full confidence and no hesitation then continuing would be foolish. We've all been there, thinking "wow I'd love to have a tank the size of a room, I'd fill it with blah blah *insert dream here*" but realistically it's feasible for very few people.

Hi, nice reply which was well worth reading let me just reply to it to the best of my ability.

It is going to be a rented downstairs flat and basically I just really like you say have this idea of having a big tank like perfectly put in our dining room but now that I've read your reply it makes sense not to get one because it is not ours and we won't be living there perm and well it would be virtually impossible to get that size tank out of the room as we will not be staying there perm it will only be until we can afford to get a house.

Would you say I should just stick to a decent size of 48" 12" 12" tank until we get a house and a more firm place to live?

A tank up to the size of 6 ft would be much easier to accommodate in several houses, and much easier to move. You can break a <6 ft tank down and then set it up again in another house within a day, if you get an early start and are well prepared. You couldn't do that with a 10 ft tank...

The only reason I said the above is because I know how easy it is to get lost in the dreams and what ifs... my hubby and I have already lived in 2 rented places together, and now we own a house, but we've only been here a year and we already know it's not our forever home, and I'm realistic enough to recognise that any plans for giant fishtanks built into the house or fish rooms or whatever need to wait until 1, I can afford it and 2, we are in our forever home.

I think a smaller tank would be sensible until you're in a more permanent state of accommodation. :good:

a 4ft while not as big still gives you a huge spectrum to pick from. A 6 foot (at 2 feet deep and about 18inches front to back) would allow you to have prety much anything you wanted really, providing its compatible.

A tank up to the size of 6 ft would be much easier to accommodate in several houses, and much easier to move. You can break a <6 ft tank down and then set it up again in another house within a day, if you get an early start and are well prepared. You couldn't do that with a 10 ft tank...

The only reason I said the above is because I know how easy it is to get lost in the dreams and what ifs... my hubby and I have already lived in 2 rented places together, and now we own a house, but we've only been here a year and we already know it's not our forever home, and I'm realistic enough to recognise that any plans for giant fishtanks built into the house or fish rooms or whatever need to wait until 1, I can afford it and 2, we are in our forever home.

I think a smaller tank would be sensible until you're in a more permanent state of accommodation. :good:

Much appreciated, so should I just stick to a 6" by 2" by 2" for now?

I just have big ideas of a really big tank in my dining room and all that...you know dreaming :sad:

@ Will I have to just glass sliders for a lid like I did on my other big tank?

that is entirely up to you! :) whatever you do, be sure to come back and give us updates, we love to see tank pictures!

Most reactions

Back