My Top Ten Photos

Thanks again everyone.

I think it may actually be easier to take decent pictures with a compact, they are more forgiving in unskilled (like my own) hands. But when you get it right with a DSLR the results can be great.

I've already ordered a copy of a 3rd party Canon 350D manual so I can get clued up before buying the camera.

Love the photos, you have a wealth of skill when I comes to scapes. BTW did you train your cardinals to swim in a shoal when you take photos ;)

Sam

Love the photos, you have a wealth of skill when I comes to scapes. BTW did you train your cardinals to swim in a shoal when you take photos ;)

Sam
:lol: Not quite.

It's not very ethical but I put the camera on a timer, wave my hands about to get them to shoal (defence mechanism) and get out of the way just before the photo is taken.

In hindsight I'm not a fan of scaring fish into shoals for photographic purposes so I doubt I'll do it again.

This is what Cardinals my looked like "normally" - http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...g.php?blogid=54

Many will have seen these but not all together. All taken with basic compact camera. My next big investment will be a DSLR Canon EOS 350D so I can take higher quality photos.

The tanks look fantastic, wot is the green plant that covers the bottom of the tank, it looks awesome?

The tanks look fantastic, wot is the green plant that covers the bottom of the tank, it looks awesome?
Thanks.

The plant is Glossostigma elatinoides. A demanding plant that requires lots of light, CO2 injection etc.
Hmm sounds like alot of upkeep, maybe when im a bit more experienced. they really are fantastics pics tho.

these pictures are masterpiece... awesome... many compliments George.... :)

George,

What is the red plant next to the Vallis in the second tank? I hope it is Rotala Rotundifolia, as I am currently trying to get some to bush out at the moment, and if it creates the effect that your red plants have I will be very pleased.

George,

What is the red plant next to the Vallis in the second tank? I hope it is Rotala Rotundifolia, as I am currently trying to get some to bush out at the moment, and if it creates the effect that your red plants have I will be very pleased.
It is Rotala, a great plant that's easy and fast growing. Regular pruning will bush it out nicely. Let it reach your surface before pruning though.

Ahhh, I thought I recognised some of these from the recent 'low tech' PFK article. The controversy! :D
"Mid-tech" actually, and the photos used in PFK were taken from my tank when I used the techniques I described i.e. yeast-based CO2, internal filter (Juwel) etc.

Nice of you to notice though! ;)

Most reactions

Back