My Tank Want To Change Gravel

preacher

Reaction score
Photo_0216_020.jpgHi I tried uploading a photo on the genral forum but I could not for some reason was not given the option :sad: i want to aqua scape I.e change the gravel to sand and slate interspersed I have two well established plants whould I be better putting the sand over the existing gravel or total replalce plants are 4 years plus old . :good:

I have a jewel 11 gallon tank ..Photo_0209_013.jpg Photo_0215_019.jpg

Hi there.

If you are thinking of changing to sand dont put it over your current gravel.In time it will mix and could look bad.

Replace the gravel in total with sand or replace the front part with sand and let it fade into back gravel using a devider of some sort.Ive doen it and looks very natural.

As for aquascaping its always good to have slopes in your tank in regard of teh substrate.

Hi there.

If you are thinking of changing to sand dont put it over your current gravel.In time it will mix and could look bad.

Replace the gravel in total with sand or replace the front part with sand and let it fade into back gravel using a devider of some sort.Ive doen it and looks very natural.

As for aquascaping its always good to have slopes in your tank in regard of teh substrate.

Thanks,

for that need to source soom decent sand as my aquarium shop aint got any, what type do you use and by doing a total change will it effect the nitrite levels or will the media in my filter be sufficent:

Hi,

Playsand is good i have it in all my tanks. ARGOS £2.49 i think it is one bag will be plenty for your tank.

Emma :)

:hi: to the forum

Hi,

Playsand is good i have it in all my tanks. ARGOS £2.49 i think it is one bag will be plenty for your tank.

Jus a word of warning about play sand i think i read sumplace it clogs up filters? 90% sure i read it on this forum sumplace.
Greg

Hi,

Jus a word of warning about play sand i think i read sumplace it clogs up filters? 90% sure i read it on this forum sumplace.
Greg

how dirty dose the sand get I.e whats the up keep like read on another forum that its a pain as in always having to clean etc :/

Hi,

It does look dirtier than gravel because all the crap sits on the top and doesn't blend in. its easy to just suck up with the syphon though and still looks nicer than gravel plus the catfish and loaches love rooting around in it and plants seem to grow better in it.

It will clog filters if they are sitting directly on it and it can't be used with under gravel filters.

Hi,

It does look dirtier than gravel because all the crap sits on the top and doesn't blend in. its easy to just suck up with the syphon though and still looks nicer than gravel plus the catfish and loaches love rooting around in it and plants seem to grow better in it.

It will clog filters if they are sitting directly on it and it can't be used with under gravel filters.

Thanks for the advive will give it a try in the new year
:shout:

Most reactions

Back