My Small Setup

JohnCS

Reaction score
Tank is around 18x8x8 i'd guess, not measured it yet so it could be even smaller!

Tank was given to me, and all the stuff i'm using has cost me zilch so far! I do need to buy a filter though as i only have spare externals which are rated at toward 300L/H so it wouldn't work
Before i started getting inventive earlier it looked like this, battery powered LED Lights
IMG_35521.jpg

After:
IMG_35561.jpg

Under the hood
IMG_35581.jpg

White LED's on
IMG_35631.jpg

Blue LED's on
IMG_35601.jpg

Both
IMG_35651.jpg

Stock wise i'm completley undecided, any suggestions?

i don't know what to say

Then don't say anything at all?

Welcome to TFF buddy.

It may or may not be obvious to you that your small set up requires no large fish and I'm talking adult size.

Personally I would stock it with shrimp (I love shrimp) and small fish species like cardinal/neon tetra which only grow to around 3cm in length.

Measure your tank to get a better idea of your volume of water etc.

i don't know what to say

Then don't say anything at all?

Welcome to TFF buddy.

It may or may not be obvious to you that your small set up requires no large fish and I'm talking adult size.

Personally I would stock it with shrimp (I love shrimp) and small fish species like cardinal/neon tetra which only grow to around 3cm in length.

Measure your tank to get a better idea of your volume of water etc.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

I'm quite experienced fish keeping wise, i completley agree with what you're saying, i'm not aiming to get anything bigger then about an inch anyway.

Yeah its on my list of things to do along with finding a decent internal for it

Cheers, John

if it is 18x8x8 it's around 4 gallons so stocking options isnt great but i'd try for a 5 cardinal tetra and 2 african dwarf frogs

i'd definetely go for the shrimp. neon's a good choice. may i suggest another.have a look at the rasboras espei aka false harlequin rasbora. Their size and behaviour is very similar to neon's but they're not so common. Or the rummy nose tetra is quite nice too. but they are a bit bigger than neons so those might not suit your tank.
Neons are so common these days everybody has them or add them at some point.

Priced up the filter yesterday, 18 quid for the smallest one Eheim do!

The LFS i visit regularly have some Glass Cats, quite tempted to get a few when the tanks ready, never really looked into the care of this species though, i've never thought about keeping them!

you would want 6 or more, they are more active/playful in groups and like decent flow on the water, which your filter should manage. I wouldn't say its the greatest idea for stocking, they can grow up to 4 inches but care wise, very easy.

Yeah shortly after posting i read about them, 4" really is too much for this tank, i'll wait till i have my larger tank set up! My LFS has 2 types of shrimp in, but they're quite pricey!

Most reactions

Back