my sickly vt

bettaboi

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have a red vt hade him for about a year and he seems like hes always sick about a monthago he came down with swim bladder now he has fin rot and he has swim bladder again im so upset i dont know wuts wrong he has a 5 gal all to himself no plants or decorations gets fed just like the others i maybe overfed him a lil today got carried away with the frozen bloodworms but nothig too bad i dont know whats wrong its getting frusturating :-(

Hi

Can you tell us a little more about him. How often do you do water changes? What is the temp of his bowl? What do you use to condition his water to remove chlorine? What do you feed him (besides bloodworms?)

I must admit I laughed when you said you couldn't resist overfeeding the bloodworms. Those Bettas are so good at begging LOL.

Sandi

If he was inbred it could be that he just has a weak immune system. You could do everything right and he would still get sick easier than most fish. I'm wondering the same thing about my Samson. I've only had him for a couple of months and he's pretty much been sick with one thing or another the whole time.

I agree, bad breeding could be the cause. It's just like with animals too. My horse, for example, is always seeing the doctor because she's always sick or hurting herself. Now, my mom's last horse, she was never sick one day in her life. She was absolutely healthy up until she passed away of old age at 27. So you can blame your fish's health on bad breeding and low immunity.

This fish is very lucky, because not many people would put up with that. Especially an ill-experienced fish owner. Without you caring for him, he wouldn't have lasted this far. The best you can do for him is exactly what you are doing. Sorry about the frustration for you though. :(

At this point, you'd be very smart to invest in some colloidal. It's an immune booster. Also, go get some Blackwater Extract. It'll make him a lot happier. I just used it with my uber sickly fish and he's doing a WHOLE lot better than he was.

Most reactions

Back