My Plans Have Changed!

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I had posted here a month or so ago about putting a 50-gal rubbermaid container outside as a small pond. Well, for my birthday my hubby got me a 125 gal pond kit. (Yipee!) So, now I need some ideas on what to stock it with. I'd like to have fish that will live year round in it, that I won't have to bring in. I know goldies work, and I have 3 fantails I'll be putting in, but I am wondering if maybe some WCMMs or a similar fish would work as well.
So...
what kinds and what numbers?
Thanks!

How deep is it? I know you're not in the frigid north but doesn't it freeze over pretty good in SC?

I've never tried keeping anything but long-bodied goldfish in ponds even down here in New Orleans. Fancy goldfish do not overwinter very well compared to long-bodied goldfish.

I'm not sure how WCMM's do overwintering. Also, as the long-bodied goldfish grow up, the WCMM's could be looked on as snacks.

I would not do more than 2-3 long bodied goldfish and even they would be a heavy bioload on a 125G pond as they grow. Make sure you use lots of plants and adequate filtration.

I used to have a pond with a few fancy-tailed and a few comets in it.... 12-13 total, to be exact. It was quite overloaded though, and I didn't know it at the time. They all did fine as far as our weather is concerned. (I had them about 4-5 years.)
I'm just wondering how many I should have to give them enough room and have a nice looking pond.
I have plenty of plants, and a pretty decent filter, too.
Thanks!

How deep was your previous pond compared to the one you are now setting up? If a pond is not deep enough into the ground, the freezing weather will cause more problems for the fish. If the pond is going to be 3' deep, then it benefits more from geothermal heating/cooling which will keep the bottom thermocline of water closer to 68F even it the top is much colder (or hotter during the summer)... or even partially frozen over. I'm not sure if your 125G pond will be deep enough to benefit from the geothermal heating/cooling.

The old pond was 18" deep with only about 10-12" being buried, and this one is 22" deep. The pond will be all the way in the ground.
I know that the general rule for goldies are 20gal for the first and 10gal for each additional, which would put this pond at being able to hold 11. That seems like quite a bit to me, so I was thinking of 6-8. Do you think that would be ok? I think I'll start out with just 3, then see if they have any babies next year, and just stock it that way.
Also, there is a 35gal part that flows into the big pond. Would I be able to put any fish in there? Maybe some kind of minnows?
Thanks for the help! I can't wait to get digging!!

That 20/10 thing isn't for long-bodied goldfish or ponds. It's for round-bodied goldfish kept in aquariums with 10X filtration and weekly PWC's. Even then, it does not work for long term success. An 8" round bodied goldfish will not do very well with only 10G per goldfish... even with 10X filtration and weekly PWC's. They are equal in body mass to hundreds of 1" goldfish.

Ponds usually get 1-2X filtration, have a lot more waste issues from fallen leaves, etc., and long-bodied goldfish need 50G each as a minimum as adults. They grow to 12"++ and up to 24" depending on the species and genetics. They are much more likely to breed in a pond so you would find yourself quickly overstocked with stunting and health issues.

22" in the ground is a pretty good level and should benefit dramatically from geothermal heating/coolling in the winter/summer. Still read up on overwintering and prepping the pond for the winter time as far as cleaning, when to stop feeding, when to turn off the pump/fountain, adding a surface bubbler to keep the ice from freezing over completely, etc.

I think your plans for 3 is a good plan to start off .... and if you can fashion some kind of screen to prevent the minnows from getting washed down the waterfall, the 35G section would work for them or for growing out baby goldfish next spring. It's also a good place to have lots of plants that will aid the ecology of the pond without being eaten by the goldfish. I'm not sure it wouldn't be more likely to freeze up over winter so check on that aspect. You wouldn't want ice to break it open.

Depending on the water temps, it's not always good to run the filter year round as it messes with the thermoclines of the pond by circulating the water. Some people use a smaller pump at the surface to keep running water slowly going through the filter to keep the filter as alive as possible without circulating the warmer water from the bottom of the pond. You probably won't run your waterfall year round for this reason also.

I'm glad you can't wait to start digging! Post back at the end of that first day and let us know how you feel about digging! :D

LOL! LOL! LOL! Ah... yes, the digging! I can imagine it will be quite tough, as we have hard dirt here. Not quite red clay until you get about a foot deep, but still hard as cement when it hasn't rained in a week or more. Good thing we have a few friends willing to help!
Although we've only ever gotten a very thin layer of ice maybe 2-3 times a year across the pond, I always cut the pump off once it only gets about 45 in the daytime. I've also thought about laying a sheet of this foam board that I have across the top, just to help a little more.
It makes sense what you said about the stocking guides. I'll certainly just start with the three and see how that goes.
Is that a certain kind of minnow that might work better than White Clouds? Maybe Rosy Reds?
Thanks for all the help, GoldLenny!

Maybe someone else will chime in on how minnows do in over-wintering situations. I know they can live in very cold moutain streams but that is different than nearly stagnant frozen over ponds. The goldfish will go down to the bottom where the warmest thermocline is at and then their metabolism will slow down to the point where they are barely breathing and do not need food for a couple of months when the pond is at it's coldest. You should stop feeding them "normal" foods when the water gets down into the 50's. Down here, I never had much of an issue with overwintering so I'm not the most experienced person in practical application. I know more from reading then actually doing the overwintering process. I would clean all of the detritus, leaves, etc., off of the bottom and stop the feedings when the water got down in the 50's but I never had to worry about the ponds freezing over.

Most reactions

Back