My Pet Dwarf...

!Gina

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
119189217.jpg

&
119189199.jpg

She's a russian dwarf hamster... How cute? :wub:

I had one of those. Her name was Twinkie... Evil little thing she was, but sooo cute! Yours is cute too.

In case you didn't know thats a Campbells Russian hamster. Called so because discovered by a chap called campbell on the russian steppes!!

You can keep more than one in a cage, advisable in fact.

Not really for holding but watching.

I have a whole load of them!!

Eh...I was advised NOT to keep more than one in a cage. A friend on mine decided not to listen and she kept two.. One ate the other. I've never heard that it was advisable to put more than one together. :dunno:

Hm...just found this.
A ten-gallon glass aquarium will house a pair of Russian Hamsters quite
comfortably.

And this:
In general, Russian Dwarf Hamsters get along very well in family groups
of one male and one or two females, or in same-sex groups. Such groups
should be established early, however, as putting strange adults
together can be very tricky and, if mismanaged, may result in one
hamster injuring or killing the other.

This site has a lot of good info if you do decide to get yours a buddy or two. Click Me

very cute ;)

But please take the newspaper out the ink is posinous.

also a 10 gallon is waaaaay to small for even one hamster.

And dwarfs can live just fine by themselves. My dwarfs, Dusk and Mocha, fought so now they live by themselves, and they are just fine.

My hamster was kept with her sibling, they were bought from the same breeder and kept together for 2 months before one day i came home to find pip (above) covered in blood. Since then i wouldnt dream of keeping them together.

Also, i've kept hamsters for over 8 years, and never known a newspaper be posionous? :no: Her cage is designed to live up to 4 hamsters, so space isnt a problem, and the only reason she had newspaper and lack of sawdust in those pictures is due to the fact that she was cut pretty badly after she was bullied, and it would've irritated her...

However, she's doing brilliantly now though and thats why i thought i'd share the pics :thumbs:

Another cutie pie.

most newspapers use non toxic vegetable dies for their inks these days i think.

most newspapers use non toxic vegetable dies for their inks these days i think.

yup, especially considering the newspaper is actually a 'lush' magazine lol :lol:

if you live in the UK you'll know what i mean, they make completely eco-friendly products, and are an alternative to most highstreet cosmestics - all natural and lush. I wouldnt just line my hamsters cage with any old rubbish.. like i say, she's spoilt.

I just dont like the way people seem to have presumed i dont look after her? I was quite offended :/

I just dont like the way people seem to have presumed i dont look after her? I was quite offended :/

I'm sorry! I hope you weren't offended by anything that I said! I, in no way, presumed that you didn't look after her. I was just responding to what littleimp said, and then I found information that proved littleimp to be correct, and myself incorrect, and posted it to keep the record straight.

You don't have a Campbell's Russian Dwarf (Phodopus campbelli)...you have a Winter White Russian Dwarf (Phodopus sungorus).

I can tell because:

a. Campbell's do not have the black side arches on the the shoulders.
b. Your hamster appears to be entering winter coat, judging by the very light-colored eyebrows. Don't be alarmed if your hamster turns completely white except for those black marks...it's natural, and it's how they get their name.

I have two Winter Whites myself. Here's a photo of my male, Kiev. You can see his black side arches there, marking him as a Winter White.

Kiev1.jpg

your little hamster is so cute gina, makes me want one :)

can you post a picture of his cage? do dwarfs need a different type of cage than larger hamsters?

Yeah, she's deffinetly a winter white her fur grows whiter and thicker on a daily basis, she's really cuddly at the moment because of it :wub:

Also, i will deffinetly be posting cage pics soon, pretty much as soon as she's awake infact. If your thinking of buying a dwarf hamster, i'd recommend you avoid wire cages, as they can often injure themselves because they're so small.
Goodluck if you do tho, theyre great pets :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back