My Oscar Jumped out of his Tank!!!!!!!!

I feel a bit harsh for being so blunt, after seeing your intro thread and your honesty about your mistakes! I do admire that you can admit that, and that you clearly care about your fish! But think of it like more of a motherly telling off, rather than a harsh judgement, you know? Picture me wagging my finger, not mad at you, just disappointed!

You just have got to have a bigger tank for an oscar. Or you gotta rehome him once he's recovered. Always research care requirements before you buy a pet. Make sure you can meet their needs before you impulse buy, because these are living beings.

Okay, nagging lecture over! I truly hope he makes a good recovery, and that you stick around and enjoy the forum! Please update us, and if you spot anything wrong with him in the next hours/days, then update for advice! Keep an eye out for any fluffy white stuff on him or any sores that appear. Keep that water clean with water changes, and sincerely hope he recovers fast! And that you get the giant tank that he's gonna need ASAP ;)
dont worry about it, i take constructive criticism very well! and i appreciate you worrying about my fish community!!

i know the current living situations arent ideal at the moment and there will be a major upgrade in the future but this is all the space i have at the moment, and i cant do anything about it besides keep the water clean and keep them properly fed and happy.

Hes a fighter, i know this just by the way he attacks my finger but ill watch videos on how to best nurture him and see if there's a meds i can purchase for him (blue dye)

I was naive when i brought in these living creatures i didnt think of them as such and for that i apologize but ill correct my wrong by giving them everything i can besides space :( still working on that... got to get through school first. but if it becomes serious enough ill sacrifice my personal space for a new home. but i insure you they will be taken care of because i have this forum community to assist me in the journey.

I appreciate your motherly advice because thats all i need when taking care of living creatures. you weren't harsh nor did i take it in that way, i was failing my fish but with your help i will succeed in due time.

yes the photos were taken after the tragic event. but he appears to be fine atm.

its a 5 gallon :( i do plan on getting him a larger tank, he was originally in the 30gal but him and his roommate (black molly) were bulling the other fish so i moved them both into the 5gal where the redcap orando and upside down catfish stayed.

I bought the 30 gal orginally for the pleco and pictus and oscar but since the relocation, more fish moved into it.
I understand, sorta!
Really, I'm honestly impressed that you hold your hands up and admit your mistakes, and didn't get angry, defensive or run away! You seem like a good dude, just gonna take some time to really sort out your stocking! You're not alone there, so many people get bad advice, or just want to get some pretty/fun fish for a little tank, and don't get the complexity right away until they start losing fish. You're at least saying "hey, yep, I made some really bad stocking choices and didn't take it seriously, but I want to help my oscar survive and I'm willing to fix it". That's great to see. :)

What size tank do you plan to get? I'm not an Oscar/cichlid person, but @Wills and @Guyb93 know a lot more about them and can help advise I'm sure! Do you still have two oscars? Just 'cos I think the tank needs to be even bigger if it's for two oscars and potentially other fish.

It’s should be fine from the fall but what the plan with it’s home?
Maybe he wanted to jump out ..
Unless your ready to have a bathtub sized fish tank please move that Oscar on , sorry but I didn’t even notice any injuries from the photo all I noticed was the size of the tank
an upgrade will be coming soon i didnt think moving him from his 30gal tank to a 5gal with one other small m8 was a bad idea but now im aware of the issue.

Beyond the tank issue ... there could be some skin damage so you will have to keep the water changes coming to avoid an infection.

He's a predator, and you're playing prey. He'll keep "playing". but leaping at prey he can't get is a common strategy to bring it down. When you upgrade his home, a good solid cover will be needed. The next time he jumps at something, you may not be home. The axe handle. If you keep him in a small tank too long, get the axe out of the room because he may get mad enough to use it!
i have a lid on all my tanks!!! but yes xD he will be getting a new home soon but great idea i got to hide my knife and axe collection xD

I really don't want to pile on OP... he's admitted his mistakes in other threads, and I want him to come back and continue to learn! But I looked at a previous thread, and it's actually two oscars and a molly in that five gallon...
1 i gave the other oscar to a friend, which went to a 30gal tank bc like you guys said he outgrew the tank. the 5gal is very temporary just buying me enough time to upgrade. but ive donated 2 plecos and my oscar due to size. Teenagers buying fish isnt ideal bc of limited room space lol

an upgrade will be coming soon i didnt think moving him from his 30gal tank to a 5gal with one other small m8 was a bad idea but now im aware of the issue.
Honestly your going to need a 75gallon tank for a single Oscar and even then the snob in me would say 125g is a minimum for an Oscar , I know people will say nonsense a Oscar will be fine in a 75 but it’s the argument of a betta fish in a 10g , any body who loves betta fish will more than likely keep them in 25g maybe .
People like certain things I guess I would never advise to keep an Oscar in anything smaller than a 5ftx2ftx2ft 125g

I understand, sorta!
Really, I'm honestly impressed that you hold your hands up and admit your mistakes, and didn't get angry, defensive or run away! You seem like a good dude, just gonna take some time to really sort out your stocking! You're not alone there, so many people get bad advice, or just want to get some pretty/fun fish for a little tank, and don't get the complexity right away until they start losing fish. You're at least saying "hey, yep, I made some really bad stocking choices and didn't take it seriously, but I want to help my oscar survive and I'm willing to fix it". That's great to see. :)

What size tank do you plan to get? I'm not an Oscar/cichlid person, but @Wills and @Guyb93 know a lot more about them and can help advise I'm sure! Do you still have two oscars? Just 'cos I think the tank needs to be even bigger if it's for two oscars and potentially other fish.
thank you for your kind words and i think you are cool dude as well!! Did you just assume my gender O.O-kidding

i love the oscar look however im more of a goldfish kindve guy so i was planning on getting 2 100gal and 2 55gal and keeping the 30gal i have as well as the 5gal for bettas. but i just cant get rid of the fish i have so they will be relocated and thoughtfully put into other tanks. the glofish will go into the 30gal and gold fish to the 100gal and oscar to the other 55gal but ill be researching perfect roommates for my oscars

Honestly your going to need a 75gallon tank for a single Oscar and even then the snob in me would say 125g is a minimum for an Oscar , I know people will say nonsense a Oscar will be fine in a 75 but it’s the argument of a betta fish in a 10g , any body who loves betta fish will more than likely keep them in 25g maybe .
People like certain things I guess I would never advise to keep an Oscar in anything smaller than a 5ftx2ftx2ft 125g
thank you ill be researching all my fish needs so they get the proper amount of space to grow.

thank you ill be researching all my fish needs so they get the proper amount of space to grow.
You need to not leave it too long oscars grow an inch per month so you will have a very big fish soon. They do not stunt much either which is good because stunting is terrible but an other reason for you to get a big four to five foot tank or revoke your Oscar.

You need to not leave it too long oscars grow an inch per month so you will have a very big fish soon. They do not stunt much either which is good because stunting is terrible but an other reason for you to get a big four to five foot tank or revoke your Oscar.
understood ill be following ur page, u were a recommended source for my oscar

Most reactions

Back