My New Tank

5teve-0

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
*if this isn't the right place for this then sorry*

in one of my other posts i was looking for a tank -----> OTHER POST
well i got the tank in the last post today and the joys of ebay lol after a hour drive it wasnt the dimensions they advertised it is actually
38.5 x 19.5 x 19.5 a lot of .5's i know but for a tenner i was'nt gonna complain, it's nice and sturdy its made of 10mm glass, and it has
no scratches anywhere.
here are some pics

08032009178.jpg

08032009182.jpg

08032009181.jpg

08032009183.jpg

im gonna be making a hood and stand using this - -> diy hood and stand tut

my first idea was to convert the hole for the sump into a outlet for a external filter
08032009180.jpg

and use this hole for as a inlet for the filter
08032009179.jpg

im gonna update this as i progress, if anyone has any suggestions or notices me doing anything wrong please let me know.

wish me luck!

im gnna scrap the external idea and go with a sump thanks to the amazing advice from andywg :drinks:

bargain price!! whats your plans for it stock wise

i havnt even thought of that yet, i would love to set it up as a marine but i cant :sad: so it will be something freshwater,

oh im using this as my sump

09032009184.jpg

its 24 x 15 x 12

also does anybody know if i can use a eheim compact 1000 as a return pump? they have a max head height of 2mt but it will only be pumping a meter tops

can anyone recomend a good return pump that isnnt too noisy and doesnt cost a fortune?

I ain't really good with the product side of fish keeping, but I would think a simple power head would work? Simply attach tubing to the outtake. Not 100% sure on the size you would need though...

can anyone recomend a good return pump that isnnt too noisy and doesnt cost a fortune?

I ain't really good with the product side of fish keeping, but I would think a simple power head would work? Simply attach tubing to the outtake. Not 100% sure on the size you would need though...

thought of that but it wont have the power to push the water the 3 1/2 foot up the pipe, i just got one of the bst that will work.

Aye, the Cascade 700 should work however if you feel that the flow needs boosting you could always raise the sump by about a foot.

Also another idea, if the pump isn't quite powerful enough you could try and source another cheap one. Then what you could do is route the flow from both pumps into a T-piece and then affix a length of flexible hose from this leading to the tank.

im having some 20mm pipe from the tank to the cab at a 45 degree angle and then dropping it to 16mm flex so it has to travel 2ft max upwards at 45 degree

2ft between the pump outlet and the sump will be perfectly fine, if you are keeping Discus then you don't want a high level of flow in the tank.

2ft between the pump outlet and the sump will be perfectly fine, if you are keeping Discus then you don't want a high level of flow in the tank.

im not keeping discus? it will probably end up a community tank, or mabey a milawi/mbuna i still havnt worked out the stock yet

im not keeping discus? it will probably end up a community tank, or mabey a milawi/mbuna i still havnt worked out the stock yet

Sorry, I looked at one of the other posts and thought you were. :blush:

got my tank, tank for my sump, pump, i have ordered my plumbing. all i need to get now is my wood and im good to go!
i will be getting my wood on the 20th so expect an update over that weekend

Most reactions

Back