My New Sump Setup!

It's probably overkill and certainly a little too much for the UV. Dwell time would be too low and you wouldn't really zap much with the UV

It's probably overkill and certainly a little too much for the UV. Dwell time would be too low and you wouldn't really zap much with the UV
the uv hasnt really changed :S

Whats to fast and whats to slow? wana get the flow just right in my refugium :unsure:

Wait, the refugium pump does not push through the UV? Little hard for me to tell going off pictures like this :)

Wait, the refugium pump does not push through the UV? Little hard for me to tell going off pictures like this :)

The skimmer pump wouldnt push thur the uv. but the return pump does then at the top in the refgium it spilts in to two slow flow in the refugium and rest goes to the main tank

ill try do a diagram!

Yeah, definitely need a diagram :)
Hope this help they are not the best so sorry!

pic1.jpg
(THIS IS NOW)
pic2edit.jpg
(THIS IS THE SKIMMER PUMP ADDED TO TAKE THE STRAIN OFF THE RETURN PUMP AND GIVE BETTER FLOW TO THE REFUGIUM)

Ok, yeah, having the UV assumably on the return to the main tank is not likely a good idea. See the thing with UV is that it needs what's known as "dwell time" to be effective. That basically means it needs a specific flowrate to operate properly and this is usually determined by the physical construction of it, and the power of the UV bulb inside it. The UV should come with documentation on a desireable flowrate for the unit. If it didn't, you can probably look it up online.

That being said, MOST hone UV units are lower wattage and are designed for lower flowrates (say 300-600lph). And with a big sump pump, you're likely well over that. This means that any critters passing inside the UV will not be there long enough to get zapped by the UV, making it ineffective. As such, its usually a better idea to get a very small powerhead to drive the UV. Make sense?

Ok, yeah, having the UV assumably on the return to the main tank is not likely a good idea. See the thing with UV is that it needs what's known as "dwell time" to be effective. That basically means it needs a specific flowrate to operate properly and this is usually determined by the physical construction of it, and the power of the UV bulb inside it. The UV should come with documentation on a desireable flowrate for the unit. If it didn't, you can probably look it up online.

That being said, MOST hone UV units are lower wattage and are designed for lower flowrates (say 300-600lph). And with a big sump pump, you're likely well over that. This means that any critters passing inside the UV will not be there long enough to get zapped by the UV, making it ineffective. As such, its usually a better idea to get a very small powerhead to drive the UV. Make sense?

Sure does! :good: its a 30w uv bulb just incase you was wondering....

So quick thort i could use my spare skimmer pump with a ball valve to slow the flow to go thur the uv with pumps in to the refugium as it will alll be a slow flow?
pic3edit.jpg

or even soo use the t- splitter at the start of the return pump with ball valve to slow it thur the uv/refugium and rest to the main tank?

I'd go with the Tee split and the ball valve on the return line :)

Most reactions

Back