My New Neon Tetras... I Hardly New Yah.

mbpted

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I wanted some extra color in my new 30 gal (us) tank to go along with my (6) Serpae Tetras, (6) Blood Fin Tetras and (5) Zebra Danios. 

My tank has been pretty stable for the past few months. (it's a fairly new tank) Water has been stable, and all seem happy. I figured I had room to introduce another fish.

So I got 6 bright blue Neon Tetras. I acclimated them to the water, and added them to the tank. The stuck together for the most part, and after watching - and enjoying - my expanded aquarium, I went to do other tasks.

I came back a couple hours later, and only saw 4 Neons. (??) Then I watched, in horror, as the other fish (all of them!) attacked and pecked to death one of the remaining Neons and made a meal out of him. I don't have to guess what happened to the two missing Neons.

I don't have the heart to watch what will happen to the other three, but if they are still alive tomorrow morning, I'll be surprised. I doubt if I'll need to feed my other fish anything in the morning, after the feast they've enjoyed today.

Anyway, maybe Neons were the wrong choice. They are certainly beautiful, and I thought that having enough of them in the tank, all at once would be enough to keep them happy and safe. (Obviously not)

So I'm out a few bucks, wasted an afternoon, and killed a bunch of fish.

I'd still like to add some "color" to my tank. Any advise on a hardier, but colorful, fish that can stand up to my tank full of bullies?

Little neons getting bullied by fish like danios is common, I'm surprised the bloodfins and the serpaes beat up the neons I've kept different tetras with neons and they get along quite well
I think your tank is already well stocked don't consider adding anything unless it's a quiet slow swimming solitary fish, like a BN Pleco

I would add more of the species you already have if I were you. The serpaes in particular can become aggressive in smaller shoals.

Thanks for the kind responses. I was considering adding an algae eater like an Otocinclus or Bristlenose Plecostomus (As Goggy suggested - they have the Pleco at the LFS). Something to help me keep the tank clean, and avoid the weekly scrubbing.

However, I was wrong. The others didn't eat all the Neons. They left one alone. I'm not sure if they are saving him for a holiday feast, but he's survived the rest by at least 5 days, and is hanging out, maybe not happily, but tenaciously at the bottom of the tank.

So I'm not sure what to do. I was kind of counting on them taking care of them all so it would help me make a decision on what to do next.

I really wanted something a bit more flashy for the tank. They are all pretty fish, but the Neons really added an extra push to the beauty factor. Is it worth giving it another try? Another option would be to try to take him back to the store and swap him out for more Serpaes and maybe the Pleco.

To follow up on some of the comments. The Danios didn't do a lot of the bullying, the Serpaes chased them, but it was the Blood Fins that were the mean ones. They ganged up and picked them off one by one. Could it be that they were too small to begin with? My fish are all, I think, fully grown or close to it: 1.5 - 2+" in length. The new Neons were an inch at the most. They looked a bit puny compared ot the others.

Something to help me keep the tank clean, and avoid the weekly scrubbing
Cleaning the tank is the fish keepers responsibility. If you intend to get a BN pleco get one because you want one but remember Plecos do 2 things, They eat lots and poop lots.

NickAu said:
Cleaning the tank is the fish keepers responsibility. If you intend to get a BN pleco get one because you want one but remember Plecos do 2 things, They eat lots and poop lots.

Yes, my post was poorly written. I meant to "help" with the scrubbing.

My tank is in a position where it unavoidably gets sunlight during a portion of the day, that builds up the algae on the glass, rocks and decorations.

I clean my tank once a week: change the water (approximately 1/4 of the tank), wipe the glass, and turn the rocks to alter the angle (the sides of the rocks pointing away from the window, don't have as much algae), but there's enough that I thought an algae eater would be happy in my tank. However, I didn't want to get one that would get too large, or become too agressive. I've been told the Chinese, and Siamese Algae eaters get very large, and become agressive as they get bigger. I've never had much luck with snails, and my one attempt at shrimp - which are very cool - just ended up being extra food for the fish.

Any time I add new fish, I watch the water quality carefully to make sure the levels stay stable. I know poop can build up the Ammonia levels and would require water changes more often. (I've gone down that road before.) Thanks.

Most reactions

Back