My New Kit For Mixing Salt.

mark7616

potatoes
Reaction score
I thought that mixing salt in a 25ltr salt bucket was a bit of a crap idea so I had a brain storm. I went to wicks (a local hardware shop) and I bought a rainwater collector. This holds 100ltrs of water for £30 so I thought blinding. So I have got home and set it up in the utility room. Now I have filled it up so far with 50ltrs of RO water and I have put in a small 50w heater to heat the water and I have placed a power head on the bottom facing up so its draws water in through the bottom and pushes it to the top so it mixes properly. The drum also has a tap on the bottom which is just the right height to fit a 10ltr bucket underneath ideal for top ups and water changes. I will fill this up to 100ltrs and bring the salinity up to 1.024 then all I need to do is as it gets low top it up and add more salt. So let me know what you think.

Here is the drum with the lid on. (sorry about my utility room its a bit of a state with purple and white walls but its more of an out house/shed)
Picture437.jpg

Here is the tap to drain off the water
Picture438.jpg

As you can see there is plenty of circulation.
Picture439.jpg

Nice idea Mark. I was thinking about something similar as currently I just throw a powerhead in an old Kent Marine Salt bucket and add the salt and water. I need to SERIOUSLY declutter the outhouse/shed too before that can happen though. I bet the Mrs is well impressed with that stuck next to her pride and joy - the washing machine :rolleyes:

Nah that is the tumble dryer she is ok with it as the marine tank is a family tank we all decide what goes into it so she undersatnds.

Thats a fantastic Idea, you will also have loads of water spare should you have any emergencies on your tank you can do a water change right away. Well done! Shame our garage has a car in it otherwise i would follow suit.

Andy

Nice idea...

hehe...I have one of those water butts as well...but I use mine to filter used veggie oil to run my car on! :good:

If it has a tap and is suitable for drinking water I couldn't resist... I'd fill it with beer :blush:

Most reactions

Back