My New Fish Tank

it's a small tank- not much you can do, as you're already stocked. Best option is to rehome the danios and get more tetras. Then you could get some other smaller fish- some cories maybe.

EDIT-What are you going to put in your tanks now that you decided?

I am going to rehome the danios. (give them to a m8!) and buy 8 neons and a siamese fighter and buy a seperate tank for a pufferfish. Do you think thats ok?

In a tank that small, don't add a fighter. It would be fine on it's own, but at that size it's really unlikely that his fins will stay nice and pretty - the neons are very likely to destroy them.

Think of it as the more fish you have in it the more you are going ot need to clean it because it is only a small tank things can change rapidly over night. eg. Ammonia, PH, Water temp

The less fish you have in it the less fish waste you will get which means you wont need to clean it as often.
I would recommend getting a cory, they are bottom dwellers which means they don't take up much of you tank space provided you give them enough ground to work with. The other benifit is they will clean up any food that hits the bottom of the tank. This will help you out with keeping the ammonia away.

The two fish I recommend for any tropical tank is a cory and a bristlenose. The bristlenose does get to 10cm but it can take a while depending on the food source. The brislenose is great for getting rid of algae off the glass and ornaments. All they require is a small peice of wood to chew on. Don't worry it will take them decades to fully eat one. This can work in your favor if you want a live plant because you can buy peices of wood with plant son them which means the other fist can't pull them up

Hope this help - you will learn to be able to see when enough fish is enough for one tank.
You just need to remember that fish will grow too so even though it may not look like many in there when you first buy them, before you know it the tank looks fuller then you thought

Good luck with it

I have to disagree with this post-
The two fish I recommend for any tropical tank is a cory and a bristlenose. The bristlenose does get to 10cm but it can take a while depending on the food source. The brislenose is great for getting rid of algae off the glass and ornaments. All they require is a small peice of wood to chew on. Don't worry it will take them decades to fully eat one. This can work in your favor if you want a live plant because you can buy peices of wood with plant son them which means the other fist can't pull them up
first most plecs are big waste producers so having a bristlenose isn't really helping-they may get rid of algea but you have to deal with the extra poop. They may also get stunted in a small tank. They don't only need a "small piece of wood". I don't even think they eat wood- they need a proper diet with cucumber, or other veggies.

he less fish you have in it the less fish waste you will get which means you wont need to clean it as often.
once again, I must disagree.It really depends on the fish you get. Getting 6 neons means much less waste than 2 common plecs.

I would recommend getting a cory, they are bottom dwellers which means they don't take up much of you tank space provided you give them enough ground to work with. The other benifit is they will clean up any food that hits the bottom of the tank. This will help you out with keeping the ammonia away.

Don't get less than 3 corys. Also they may clean up the food- but if there is too much it'll do the same as overfeeding- and once again, they won't eliminate ammonia, as they may eat the food, but they do poop, which also contains ammonia.

Just making my points.

Can some one please help me i bought a 34 litre tank for my bedroom.
How many fish do you think i can fit in my fish tank?

Not very many, your tank is quite small. Have you cycled it yet? If you are cycling with fish keep a close watch on your Amonia and Nitrites and do daily water changes until the tank has cycled.

at the moment i have 4 zebra danios and 3 neon tetras. i am hoping to get 5 more neons
Get the neon's, but I would only get 2 or 3 as they need to be in a 5+ school. Your tank is now full!

a pufferfish
Nope, they're agressive, need a bigger tank and need brackish water.

a red tailed shark
Nope, it will grow waaaaay too big

a siamese fighter
Nope, you can't put one of them in with neon's as the neon's may nip at it's fins

2 coolies
Nope, unless you get rid of all your other fish, you can have a few of these and the Betta together with a sand substrate.

do you think that is to many
Yes, and a bad mix

or do you think i could perhaps get more in the tank as i was thinking about purchasing a few congo tetra.
Nope, forget it!

Please help from a confused newbie!

Hope I've help a bit :) Good luck :)

Hey you know it could be a dwarf freshwater puffer. If thats the case he should be fine in the 10 gallon. I would find out exactly what kind of puffer he is, they are very nice fish and probably one of the only oddballs small enough to keep in a 10 gallon. The only problem is that he gets very aggressive and should be keeped with other puffers. (if he is brackish by himself) Don't get discuraged we all make ignorant mistakes. Even if he is a brackish water puffer just add some salt and get rid of the other fish. The red tail shark only gets about 4 inches and if he were by himself he would probably do ok...though it is not ideal they should have about 20 gallons. You will probably lose most of your fish... if you keep them like this. Leave overcrowding to larger tanks, small tanks can be very unstable and even more of a challenge to keep.

If you just keep with small neons and danio's you should be fine. Is your tank cycled yet?I would add one small corry if you are sticking with neons and danio's [assuming your tank is cycled if not then don't add anything else until it is] because they are good bottom feeders and you don't want uneaten food to rot on the bottom of the tank. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM

I have to disagree with this post-
first most plecs are big waste producers so having a bristlenose isn't really helping-they may get rid of algea but you have to deal with the extra poop. They may also get stunted in a small tank. They don't only need a "small piece of wood". I don't even think they eat wood- they need a proper diet with cucumber, or other veggies.

he less fish you have in it the less fish waste you will get which means you wont need to clean it as often.
once again, I must disagree.It really depends on the fish you get. Getting 6 neons means much less waste than 2 common plecs.

Don't get less than 3 corys. Also they may clean up the food- but if there is too much it'll do the same as overfeeding- and once again, they won't eliminate ammonia, as they may eat the food, but they do poop, which also contains ammonia.

Just making my points.

Brislenose do not produce that much waste.
They need the wood as a balanced diet, yes you can also feed them cucumber but if you have algae in your tank they will eat that. You can also feed them algae wafers. If you are not going to have a light over the tank then you will need to feed them more.

Also if you have a small tank that requires 3 cories to make sure they are not overfed then you are putting way too much food in the tank

O.K I will rephrase, if you want to keep the amount of ammonia down in your tank then don't put any fish in there and if you do don't feed them

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree :good:

In the end a fish only produces as much waist as you feed it. So over feeding any fish will be messy. Cory’s do fine by them selves I have kept them before. They don't need much to eat... some food always gets to the bottom. I agree though don't over feed them...but the bottom line is that if you don't want ammonia or nitrites *change your water* the more crowded your tank is the more water you should change I recommend either 2 20% water changes or just one 40 percent water changed in a small over crowded tank *every* week. One 60 percent water change a month. *don't forget to change your ammonia cartridge* If you don’t have one get one. They are cheap. Remember these are just guild lines. Also remember that a fish that doesn’t eat doesn’t grow so don't starve your fish either.

As for the stocking well... there is never a 100% way to tell if a fish will work or not, I would be causes don't tank unnecessary risks. Have fun with your new hobby! :D

Really, would you like to come round and tell mine? I keep an adult female bristlenose with 3 corys and a platy in a 19 gallon tank (so more than twice as big as the OPs) and she poos like nobody's business: I'm having to gravel vac twice a week to keep the substrate safe for the corys. A 9 gallon tank wouldn't really produce enough algae to feed a bristlenose for long, or even enough fin room. They don't feed on wood the way panaques do, they just graze it a bit as a digestion aid, but the main part of their diet comes from elsewhere.

As for the corys, most members tend not to recommend keeping them singly as it gives them no chance to enjoy their natural schooling behaviour.

wow wow wow mate stop and remember the inch per gallon rule. You are already stocked if not overstocked. And ive got a 130liter tank and my red tail will out grow that eventually. You need to do some more research man.

Really, would you like to come round and tell mine? I keep an adult female bristlenose with 3 corys and a platy in a 19 gallon tank (so more than twice as big as the OPs) and she poos like nobody's business: I'm having to gravel vac twice a week to keep the substrate safe for the corys. A 9 gallon tank wouldn't really produce enough algae to feed a bristlenose for long, or even enough fin room. They don't feed on wood the way panaques do, they just graze it a bit as a digestion aid, but the main part of their diet comes from elsewhere.

As for the corys, most members tend not to recommend keeping them singly as it gives them no chance to enjoy their natural schooling behaviour.

Yeah, I just got two bristlenose "fry." They're about 1 inch total. They are non-stop poopers. Literally. My 10 gal has only them in it. I think after 3 days I cleaned out more waste than I did when it had many times the fish in it and I did weekly water changes. They are definitely the messiest fish I've kept.

Cories aren't the best choice for a 10gal. They get to be decent size (other than the pgymy) and should be in groups, so it'll eat up the entire tank stocking room.

If I were you, I'd do a species tank...maybe 8 Cardinals and a Bushy-nose pleco. Bushy's don't produce the waste that most plecos do and they don't grow very big. A species tank like this with a classic Amazon set-up is as nice a tank as you can get!
Just be sure it is well cycled, as Cardinals are a little sensitive...you could do the same with Neons too.

Most reactions

Back