My New Crown Tail And Its New Home

KiLlerTOfu

Reaction score
I just got this crown tail 5 days ago and had it in a 2 gallon fish bowl and it was very happy. But Then i saw a 10 gallon kit at petco for 59.99 but 10 bucks off so 49.99 so i went and got it. It comes with a filter i was wondering should i use it or not? i had sand around from earlier tanks so i used that and got two plants and 3 bulbs waiting to come up. I also have two red wags in the tank. wondering if i should take them out. They seem so busy and my betta is so calm and always in the background.... the background is for males only!! lol. well just wondering what people think about it..

should i keep the filter?
should i have air stone?
does the filter mess with the bubble bettas make?
should i get a cave or some sort?
is sand a good substrate?
and is the tail of my fish ok? it looks kind of wilting or something

sorry for all the questions. i Have looked online. no one answered the answers specifically.

please help. i want my BETTA as happy as possible

Attachments

• Ceein.jpg
    Ceein.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 38
  • HOME_.jpg
    HOME_.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 43
Very pretty!!! The filter is a good idea, although you may find you have to place a shield in front of the outflow to reduce the current. Some Bettas don't mind the current, but most don't like it. Sand is fine as a substrate...I can't tell from the pic if anything is up with the tail. I can see dark ends, and a bit of curling. I've noticed some fin curling with Bettas that I've had. Keep an eye on it to make sure there is no finrot.

Was he being kept in a cup? The high levels of ammonia in pet store cups can lead to finrot, but I had a red and blue CT who always had black tips on his fins with no problems. He died this morning of age related health problems :( RIP Spider... you're missed.

Red wag platies are ideal companions provided the betta doesn't attack them.. if he doesn't mind, its' fine to leave them there. There is no point to adding an airstone because the only thing the airstone does is move the surface to allow more gas exchange - with only three fish in the tank, one of which is an air breather, this is not a problem. A filter would be good since you have platies, but cut the current, there's a description on how to do this in Articles - Bettas. What sort of filter is it?

The bubblenest on the surface is not important unless you are trying to breed so it shouldn't really matter if the current is disturbing it somewhat. The betta will like to rest at the surface though so the less current the better. The decor is fine, if you want to add a cave though it won't hurt.

Was he being kept in a cup? The high levels of ammonia in pet store cups can lead to finrot, but I had a red and blue CT who always had black tips on his fins with no problems. He died this morning of age related health problems :( RIP Spider... you're missed.

Red wag platies are ideal companions provided the betta doesn't attack them.. if he doesn't mind, its' fine to leave them there. There is no point to adding an airstone because the only thing the airstone does is move the surface to allow more gas exchange - with only three fish in the tank, one of which is an air breather, this is not a problem. A filter would be good since you have platies, but cut the current, there's a description on how to do this in Articles - Bettas. What sort of filter is it?

The bubblenest on the surface is not important unless you are trying to breed so it shouldn't really matter if the current is disturbing it somewhat. The betta will like to rest at the surface though so the less current the better. The decor is fine, if you want to add a cave though it won't hurt.

Oh great everything sounds good then.
the filter i have is a whisper power 10. It does not have a flow rate or anything on it. i will have to devise something to cut the flow i guess.

Thanks for the reply

Very pretty!!! The filter is a good idea, although you may find you have to place a shield in front of the outflow to reduce the current. Some Bettas don't mind the current, but most don't like it. Sand is fine as a substrate...I can't tell from the pic if anything is up with the tail. I can see dark ends, and a bit of curling. I've noticed some fin curling with Bettas that I've had. Keep an eye on it to make sure there is no finrot.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep an I on the tips. but i bought some aloe vera thing to help coat with stress and like help aid healing solution anyways. it also chlorinates.
thanks again

would just like to point out that i think the plant in the middle is actually a house plant so will rot if kept underwater for a certain time, i am not 100% sure so maybe pop into the planted tank section get a second opinion :good:

Lovely Betta boy you got there :)

would just like to point out that i think the plant in the middle is actually a house plant so will rot if kept underwater for a certain time, i am not 100% sure so maybe pop into the planted tank section get a second opinion :good:

Lovely Betta boy you got there :)

I bought it from petsmart so i hope it is an aqau plant. but i will check again next time i go there. i have heard of places selling plants that will last only a few weeks in water due to not being a true underwater plant. thank you for the reply

Hi, KiLlerTOfu,
Just wanted to congratulate you on providing such a lovely home for your new boy.
It looks great now and will be even nicer when the other plants grow in, so I hope we'll get to see it when???
I'm sure you won't have any problems with your bulbs, but thought I'd mention that the lovely lilies that grew out of some I had eventually burst and oozed some odd stuff, so might just want to check periodically.
I don't think it's a common occurrance, and may have been be due to some critters hatching out...
But it was very sad, as the betta involved just loved curling up on the leaves...

LauraFrog, so sorry to hear about Spider...

The plant looks like a form of crypt. Very much so aquatic, but you can still double check. As for his rays, sometimes CTs have curly rays-- they just don't have the strength to stick straight out...or it could also be being in a little cup for so long. Sometimes living in too small of a container causes fins to curl as well.

Just wanted to say, That betta looks amazing. It's got such lovely colour to it!

Curly fins on CT's can also be due to lack of vitamin D. He could do with an hour in a sunny place each day, but it won't harm him as he is.

The plant looks like a form of crypt. Very much so aquatic, but you can still double check. As for his rays, sometimes CTs have curly rays-- they just don't have the strength to stick straight out...or it could also be being in a little cup for so long. Sometimes living in too small of a container causes fins to curl as well.

wow you know your plants but im not sure. i hope its the strength situation cause i know my tank is better then petsmarts cup. so it will get stronger. thank you for the help

Just wanted to say, That betta looks amazing. It's got such lovely colour to it!

Tanks yo. hope the fins will get better then i will take more picture!!!

Curly fins on CT's can also be due to lack of vitamin D. He could do with an hour in a sunny place each day, but it won't harm him as he is.

Really! i will try that sounds practical not to much risk if it not to hot or cold outside ill let him out and play.

Great looking betta! And nice job providing him a good home. I know I would be psyched to have such a background if I were him :lol:

A whisper 10i is a very suitable filter. If you place it in one side of the tank, it should still leave one side motionless. If you want to cut the current just slightly, place some pantyhose over the filter inlet. This worked very well on my 10i in a 5 gallon tank. The more pantyhose, the more you cut the current. You may find that he likes playing in the current though.

As for the fins curling, he may just be a bit older (he doesn't look very young to me). I have a CT that grew some very long fins/crowns and they just curled after a bit of time. When he was younger, they were very defined, pointy, and of medium length.

If you are checkin up on this thank you for the help. it ended up being tail rot. the heater was broken too would just go up and down i thought it was just the thermometer but i got another one suspecting it wasn't. i bought the tank and kit from petco i cant return it cause i tried to mess with it after i took it out. I got a simple heater that stick to 78 and its working great. MY betta is doing a lot better. though it went through some bad times. i split one plant up and got a really big one plus ima get two cory panda in the next week for the bottom of the tank should be a nice 5 fishies community! will update with pics when i get the cory. Tanks again

KillerTOFU

ps my grammar sucks plus spelling is crap. sorry oh i don't cap and most of the time do not put in punctuation!

:good: ilovethat tank!!
i got a 20gallon kit awhile back moved so havent had time to set it up :( but hopefully i can get mine to look as good as urs!

Most reactions

Back