My New Cichlids!

nukeonekitty

Knowledge talks while wisdom listens.
Reaction score
Look at the profile at all the new cichlids! Tell me what you think! I will get pics up asap. I also have a Fowleria polystigma or so I was told, he is brown with darker brown spots, can anyone point my in the direction of a profile for this fish... is that the scientific name or a common one?

Okay I am getting more and more confussed about Fowleria polystigma... is this a cichlid? And is it brackish?

I might be wrong but i think you have a Nimbochromis Polystigma, is this it
nimb_polystigma_f_01.jpg

I'm guessing you have a Nimbochromis Polystigma beacuse Fowleria Polystigma is a marine cardinal fish. Nimbochromis Polystigma is a Hap and therefore grows a lot bigger than Mbuna, if you google the name you will find lots of info. Not ideal for an Mbuna tank i'm afraid unless you have something larger than 75 gallons.

Yeah that is my fish... damn I guess I will be taking it back tonight... how about my other fish, everything is a okay for a mbuana right?

Just a couple of things, labs do better in groups so i would reccommend getting another 3 or so.

Also keep an eye on your Chipokae, they can be vicious, mine is only kept in check by my huge Hongi who settles any disputes before they start. Not necessarily a problem, just one to watch out for.

okay thanks, my LFS should take back my fish right? I will trade it in for credit or whatever

A good LFS normally take fish back and will give you at least partial credit, particularly if it's the same shop you got the fish from.

No its a Nimbochromis Polystigma, very similar looking fish and commonly mis-sold.

No its a Nimbochromis Polystigma, very similar looking fish and commonly mis-sold.

well thats put me in serious dout about my big fellow now. it was sold to me by my LFS who has kept cichlids for 12 years as a livingstonii, he is identical to the one in the pic. :S

Wouldn't make much difference if you had a Polystigma, they have almost identical habits/dietary requirements etc as Livingstoni.

can i just ask what the diffrence between the 2 is?

Try
http://www.malawimayhem.com/. Look under resourses then species profiles. They have pics of juvies, males, and females of most malawi species. (I too think it is a N. livingstoni.) From pics I have seen the N. polystigma has smaller, "freckle type" spots with "spots" and, where the livingstoni has "spots". Both require the same care just as Ferris has said. Both also "play dead" when they want to grab a "bite" :hey: to eat.

Most reactions

Back