My new bettas are arriving tomorrow!

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So....I ordered some new fish from The Wet Spot. They will get here tomorrow. A pair each of betta pugnax and and betta dimidiata.

I've never ordered online before. I've heard that you should open them in a dark room with the tank lights off? Do I float the bag or just plonk them in? I've heard differing opinions on adding fish that have been shipped

I'll post pics when they get here.

Lucky. I'm super jealous! :X

You don't have to open your fish in a dark room and leaving the lights off will help lessen any stress. For how I acclimate my wild Bettas whenever I first got them during shipping, I just do the plop-and-drop method. Always work for me. Also, as a side note, I noticed that wild Bettas will often get freaked out once you turn on the aquarium light. The method that works for me is to open the window curtains and turning on the lights. I usually leave it on for at least 10-20 minutes. This will ensure that it is day time for the fish rather than having to turn on the aquarium light and spooking the fish.

Betta pugnax do best in groups of 6 or more so they can choose their partners for breeding.

--------------
If the fish arrive during the day, have the room and tank lights off when you open the box. If they arrive at night then have the room light on but the tank light off.
Leave the tank light off until the following day.

When you get the fish, float the bag for about 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of tank water to the bag every 5 minutes for the 30 minute period.

Then open the bag and pour the fish into the tank. You can also have a net in a bucket and pour the fish into the net and then put them in the tank. This will stop any of the water from the bag getting into the tank.

--------------
Contact the supplier and ask them what their GH and pH is. Try to get your tank water to a similar GH and pH so the fish don't stress as much when they are put in the tank.

Betta pugnax do best in groups of 6 or more so they can choose their partners for breeding.

--------------
If the fish arrive during the day, have the room and tank lights off when you open the box. If they arrive at night then have the room light on but the tank light off.
Leave the tank light off until the following day.

When you get the fish, float the bag for about 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of tank water to the bag every 5 minutes for the 30 minute period.

Then open the bag and pour the fish into the tank. You can also have a net in a bucket and pour the fish into the net and then put them in the tank. This will stop any of the water from the bag getting into the tank.

--------------
Contact the supplier and ask them what their GH and pH is. Try to get your tank water to a similar GH and pH so the fish don't stress as much when they are put in the tank.
Should I order more pugnax then?

The supplier is only 2 hours away and has the same parameters as me

Are you certain that the seller has a confirmed mated pair?

I always turn the overhead lights and the tank lights off. I always go ahead and cut the bag open even before floating it in case they use breather bags (breather bags can’t be floated). I then Clip the bag to the side of the tank and let it float for 15 minutes. I then begin adding about 1/2 cup of water to bag every 10 minutes for about 30-45 minutes. Then, I drain the bag into a strainer and catch the fish in strainer. Then place them in the tank. Never add water from the bag to your tank. Then leave lights off for a couple of hours and let them rest. I then feed them just a tad bit with lights still off. After 6-12 hours I turn on the lights. Can’t wait to see pics!

Nice to have new fish!
I often joke with my colleague who is also a fish enthusiast.
I would send him photos of the packaging of fish in boxes and inform him tht his fish have arrived at his house.. LOL

Your fish have arrived Juicy!!!
There are 50 pairs here. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_123952.jpg
    IMG_20200609_123952.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Should I order more pugnax then?
The supplier is only 2 hours away and has the same parameters as me
If you can get more then do so. You want at least 6 so they can choose their own partners. They aren't that easy to sex when in a quarantine tank or when young, so 6-10 fish will give you more chance of getting a male and a female.

Water can vary between towns so even if they are only 2 hours drive from you, they could still have a completely different water chemistry.

They told me that they seemed to be paired up.
Bettas don't pair up like cichlids do so there is no real way of picking pairs unless you see 2 fish breeding. The best way to get compatible pairs (pairs that like each other) is to get a group of 6 or more fish (3 or more pairs) and put them together so they can pick and choose their partners.

If you can get more then do so. You want at least 6 so they can choose their own partners. They aren't that easy to sex when in a quarantine tank or when young, so 6-10 fish will give you more chance of getting a male and a female.

Water can vary between towns so even if they are only 2 hours drive from you, they could still have a completely different water chemistry.

Bettas don't pair up like cichlids do so there is no real way of picking pairs unless you see 2 fish breeding. The best way to get compatible pairs (pairs that like each other) is to get a group of 6 or more fish (3 or more pairs) and put them together so they can pick and choose their partners.
I checked. They have the same parameters:)

The fish are healthy.
But about the seller, I think they're understaffed. I called to fix the spelling mistake they made on the address. They fixed it. Then when the fish came it was the totally wrong address AND my name was spelled wrong. Never before have I been so grateful that we live in a small town with the same delivery guy all the time. He saw the wrong address but recognized the last name and brought it anyway. If he hadn't they may not have ever arrived

Also there was two shipping labels, one had the wrong house number, the other had my phone number instead of the house number

The fish are healthy.
But about the seller, I think they're understaffed. I called to fix the spelling mistake they made on the address. They fixed it. Then when the fish came it was the totally wrong address AND my name was spelled wrong. Never before have I been so grateful that we live in a small town with the same delivery guy all the time. He saw the wrong address but recognized the last name and brought it anyway. If he hadn't they may not have ever arrived

Also there was two shipping labels, one had the wrong house number, the other had my phone number instead of the house number
Sounds like they need to get their act together. So glad They made it there safely! :)

Most reactions

Back