My New Bettas Aquarium

T3Knical5urg3

Reaction score
Hi I really hope you guys are knowledgeable enough for all these questions I have about how my tank should be set up for Capernicus (My Fish)

I have a small 2.5 Gallon tank and a single male betta
It uses an in-tank filter

Question 1)
I have a debate whether it is beneficial to have a bubble stone in his tank or not.
Ive heard that it really isn't beneficial because they don't really need oxygenated water, and that they only do harm because they disturb the water and bettas like calm water.
The other argument is that it isn't for the fish, but for the good bacteria that require oxygen. BUT iv'e also heard that the bubbling does such little to oxygenate the water that it isn't even good for that.
I'm not sure if I should keep running the bubble rock or not

Question 2)
Is the in-tank filter a bad choice (it came with the tank)?
It creates a decent current around itself, but doesn't seem to create it through the whole tank. The funny part is he seems to enjoy being over there in the flow. Heck, he sits there and swims into the bubbles over and over again at times
If it is a bad option what is a cheap choice that is better?

Question 3)
I plan on doing pretty regular water changes at ~20% Should I put conditioner in the water for this amount?

Thanks to anyone who helps we out with any of the questions. :rolleyes:

Hi. I think these are pretty easy questions! If you have the airstone and filter in the tank already, and your fish likes it, then I'd leave it be. The airstone isn't really necessarty, but if your fish likes the bubbles, just leave it. It can't do any harm. If you notice your fish starts acting funny, remove it. It sounds like the filter's fine as well. I'd like to see what kind it is specifically. You can always use a DIY current kill if it ends up being too much for your fish. As it, sounds fine. For the water, you should always use a conditioner. You have a small tank, and 20% is a decent amount. There's more than just chlorine in your tap that you need to neutralize to keep your fish at his best. :)

Hope that helps. :good:

Hi I really hope you guys are knowledgeable enough for all these questions I have about how my tank should be set up for Capernicus (My Fish)

I have a small 2.5 Gallon tank and a single male betta
It uses an in-tank filter

Question 1)
I have a debate whether it is beneficial to have a bubble stone in his tank or not.
Ive heard that it really isn't beneficial because they don't really need oxygenated water, and that they only do harm because they disturb the water and bettas like calm water.
The other argument is that it isn't for the fish, but for the good bacteria that require oxygen. BUT iv'e also heard that the bubbling does such little to oxygenate the water that it isn't even good for that.
I'm not sure if I should keep running the bubble rock or not

So long as you have the filter you dont need the airstone as the water falling will oxyinate the water for the bacteria. its not harmful to run it but its not nessacary either.

Question 2)
Is the in-tank filter a bad choice (it came with the tank)?
It creates a decent current around itself, but doesn't seem to create it through the whole tank. The funny part is he seems to enjoy being over there in the flow. Heck, he sits there and swims into the bubbles over and over again at times
If it is a bad option what is a cheap choice that is better?

the in tank filter is fine for the mini bow with a betta. I personnal was given a mini bow 2.5 but the kept the heater so i found a hob filter rated for 3 gallon tanks and altered the mini bow to accomidate it. It allows a bit more swimming room for my betta.

Question 3)
I plan on doing pretty regular water changes at ~20% Should I put conditioner in the water for this amount?

Thanks to anyone who helps we out with any of the questions. :rolleyes:

yes you should add conditioner to the water. any amount needs to be declorinated.

Ok thought of another question cause you guys rock and are quick

I bought a fake plant early on that kind of is like a evergreen branch. Though the actual bristles are softer than a really tree the more I look at them the more I worry about him and his long vailtail.

It should be fine. I have mine in with bristley fake plants and have yet to have an ill effects. do you have a heater in your tank? if not i would reccommend adding one of those as well as im pretty sure the mini bow doesnt come with one.

The general rule with fake plants is that if you can pull a pair of panty hose over them without snagging the hose, they should be soft enough to not rip your bettas fins. If you're worried, I would replace it. I prefer the soft/silk fake plants if I'm using fake. Most of the time I just throw some loose java moss/java fern into my tanks. They're good low-light plants.

Most reactions

Back