My new Betta/ shrimp set up

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, todsy was the day I had to move my tanks aroundtaking around 4 hours with planning etc. I’m so happy with my new 18 gallon betta tank and managed to overcome the excessive flow using untidy buffers as shown I really like a planted betta tank and have created many clever hiding places for the shrimp such as a layer of space between the Christmas moss and the grave, as well as having a pleco cave with java moss inside. Let me know your thoughts or any of your tanks!

Attachments

• 80286F41-2845-4A36-9F9E-F46EE4C6EC3B.jpeg
    80286F41-2845-4A36-9F9E-F46EE4C6EC3B.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 221
  • ADA6FCB8-5C52-4E6F-B6B6-0B8FC013C9C0.jpeg
    ADA6FCB8-5C52-4E6F-B6B6-0B8FC013C9C0.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 48992FCB-3CC4-40B7-945E-CB0EA8F53A09.jpeg
    48992FCB-3CC4-40B7-945E-CB0EA8F53A09.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 207
  • D97283E1-DE34-469A-BB88-EC0BDC6879B4.jpeg
    D97283E1-DE34-469A-BB88-EC0BDC6879B4.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 228
Looks good!

You don't actually have a pleco in there, do you?

Just keep an eye on the beta. Some will seem cool with shrimp and then just snap.

Nope I have no pleco in that tank! It’s just a betta and a shrimp tank :) I have a tiny albino bristlenoee pleco in my 25gallon and it was a leftover pleco breeding tank so decided to turn it into a shrimp cave

Looks good, I would suggest adding some more plants like water sprite, my shrimp like climbing around in it. I hope it works out with the Betta and he decides to leave the shrimp alone-some do and some view it as a shrimp smorgasbord.

Looks good, I would suggest adding some more plants like water sprite, my shrimp like climbing around in it. I hope it works out with the Betta and he decides to leave the shrimp alone-some do and some view it as a shrimp smorgasbord.
I will for sure! Ive also aready ordered some other floating plants for the tank as well!

Some Anacharis would add a lot to the tank as well. (If you put it in the back right hand corner and along the back)

Some Anacharis would add a lot to the tank as well. (If you put it in the back right hand corner and along the back)
Actually I’ve had it before we call it elodea in the UK. I’ve neber had luck with it! It always Dies on me I use fertiliser and root tabs such a shame

Yes, elodea is Anacharis. Still a great plant. :good:
In some states here in the US, Elodea is now prohibited because it is considered an invasive species. So, you can't buy it in some states now.

I used to teach HS Biology years ago (when I lived in New Hampshire) and I used Elodea (bought at a pet store) for a Lab Experiment on Plant Respiration (photosynthesis), where we counted bubbles (pearling) coming from the plant in the water over time and used that as a measure of the rate of photosynthesis under different conditions in different tanks (different lighting, or lack there of, different nutrients in the water or lack there of, and the addition of baking soda to introduce CO2 into the water in some of the tanks). It was probably not completely accurate, but it got the students thinking about and understanding the process of photosynthesis.

I also had the students perform another lab experiment on the process of Osmosis (Plasmolysis) using Elodea Leaves (which are very thin and ideal for the lab) by observing the leaves under a microscope and observe what happens to the interior of the plant's cells when placed in a saltwater (hypertonic) solution (cells chloroplasts start to cluster together and the cells membrane starts to shrink away from the cell wall as water leaves the cell via osmosis.

I was able to include these two labs in my curriculum for a few years until one year when I couldn't find Elodea in the Pet Stores anymore and I was informed that it was illegal to sell it .. So, I went with a different aquatic plant for the Photosynthesis Lab and started using Moss leaves, which are nice and thin, for the Osmosis Lab.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back