My New 60L First Tank!

Looking good! :good:

How is the cycling going? Ammonia readings beginning to drop yet? I wouldn't have thought so but you never know ;)

Personally, I'd move the filter up the side of the tank more so the spray bar is just skimming the surface of the water and creating some surface movement. This'll promote good gas exchange in the water when you start to add life to your tank. :hyper:

Decided on faux or real plants? I'm quite excited to see how this tank turns out :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, i'm actually wanting/needing to get a new tank pretty much exactly the same size as the one you have.

Also, did you fill the water up a little more? it looks as though you could probably add in a little bit more water in there.

A few new bits of decor!

15odjip.jpg

2nbss2t.jpg

What else can I put in it looks like something is missing, I need some hide away places.... maybe a root bog wood near the filter? I want it all to look natural so no shipwrecks, sponge bob etc....

A few new bits of decor!

15odjip.jpg

2nbss2t.jpg

What else can I put in it looks like something is missing, I need some hide away places.... maybe a root bog wood near the filter? I want it all to look natural so no shipwrecks, sponge bob etc....
some bogwood our driftwood would look good, remember to soak it to release the tannins, also attach some suckers to it so it sticks to youre glass and dirt does not collect undereath it.

When/if you soak wood, I filled my kitchen sink with hot water and every hour or so I'd lose a few litres of the water so I could top it up with fresh boiling hot water from the kettle. This helps kill any nasties on the wood and apparently opens the pours in the wood to allow the tannins to release quicker. Mopani wood is usually all twisted and gnarled, with a dark coloured side and a lighter coloured side. Makes for good aquascaping if you ask me! Bog wood is also a good choice. Mopani will turn your water a golden tea coloured stain if all the tannins aren't removed and bogwood is a little darker I've found.

Tank looks good so far, though! :good:

EDIT:

Another thing to note is although there may not be much/any algae that you can see, scrub your glass every week (a scouring pad will do provided it's not got any soap on it/had any soap on it in it's lifetime) anyway. Algae spores cling to all sorts and it's at this stage that you can't see it but if given the chance, it'll certainly claim it's place in your tank. Even more so if you're going unplanted. :good: If you do get an algae outbreak, don't panic. Just don't use the tank light for 3 - 7 days and you'll find that it's mostly gone. If this doesn't work, use a towel to wrap the sides of your tank in to prevent any natural light entering the tank. Give it another 3 - 7 days and you should see that it's mostly cleared up. :rolleyes:

also attach some suckers to it so it sticks to youre glass and dirt does not collect undereath it.

I don't think that's really a requirement. Bogwood is fine just sitting on the substrate.

+ 1, even if the wood touches the glass in your aquarium, chances are it won't do any damage since most aquarium safe woods are soft woods and mostly without sharp edges.

EDIT:

Although, the suckers idea is pretty good. I have a very daring pleco though and knowing him, he'd wedge himself underneath.

also attach some suckers to it so it sticks to youre glass and dirt does not collect undereath it.

I don't think that's really a requirement. Bogwood is fine just sitting on the substrate.
not a requirment but helps with cleaning abit if you dont like moving stuff as it does not touch the substrate and dirt does not collect around and under it. also it makes a good little area for fish to hide under and you can still see them as you can keep it however high of the substrate you want.

Brill thanks for all that info... id never of known!

Im busy online shopping looking for some things to fill my space!

mh4p3t.jpg

you can probs fill the water level up even higher, in my 60l it says max 33cm from bottom so probs be the same for yours.

Most reactions

Back