My Life And Medical Advancement (Picture Heavy)

Oh well in conclusion just wanted to say that process in your post is really cool and interesting.

Very interesting job...just wondering how much is the pay and what kind of education is needed to be able to do this.

The pay really depends on where you are working. Anywhere from $20-$30 and hour, and right now, I have a Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Science, and I am AMT certified (nationally certified)

I feel sick....
My own blood and my kids blood I can deal with, anyone elses I can't.

Sounds a very interesting job, the medical field has always been a fasinating subject to me but as I feel sick and boke if someone is bleeding around me its just not possible.

Its good you enjoy your job, if you find a job which you like and actually enjoy doing then the battle is over. Of course a good salary helps but if you can truly say you'd be just as happy doing the job getting £9 per hour or £90 per hour I think your sorted.

I am the same way Micko lol. I can deal with blood and any other body fluid if it is in a cup or tube, which is why my job works out for me. I couln't work in a trauma room where I had to see the injuries and the people in pain. I had to take part in a Code Blue once, and go draw blood from that patient and I almost passed out as she was unconcious and they were doing CPR. It was a horrible experience. I prefer to be around just the tubes of blood myself :)

I can honestly say I do love what I do. I may not become a millionaire doing this type of work, but it pays for everything I need. I think I would prefer job happiness over loads of money any day :)

I still couldn't do it. I have admiration for anyone who can work with anyones blood.

Yeah...i have been doing this for about 10 years now. Working in a hospital lab for most of it. What is funny is I can work with pretty much any body fluid...blood, pee, poo, reproductive fluids, and anything else....but when someone sends sputum (deep chest loogies) it turns my stomach upside down

My mom is a retired lab tech, worked Level I trauma for over 30 years. Being on 3rd shift for most of that she got to deal with some of the wilder situations at times, ER could get way crazy. Growing up in a house with mom being a lab tech meant exposure to science & so on from an early age. Being on 3rd shift meant she could sneak me in to hang out & learn.

Way back when I was younger she worked in an inner city hospital, long before multi-million dollar machines were around. Pregnancy tests were still done with rabbits, they had a small zoo down in the hospital basement associated with the lab. It's been real interesting to see science progress first hand, from dissection, slides & stains involving various animals, to incredible high tech equipment that does the work of dozens of techs in a fraction of the time.

One thing hasnt changed lol. Pregnancy tests are still done like rabbits lol. The only thing that changed is the age group is younger...

Oh, they were pretty young back then, she switched out of that job as the area was changing. That was a good career move as well, got in with a huge network of hospitals, largest Level I net in the state. She did really well with that career, it's a good field to be in.

As far as the animals, she still feeds the local wildlife in her back yard, just like the animals in the hospital basement. She's been doing that for as long as I can remember, I guess if she can't have her basement zoo she'll have it in her back yard.

Yeah, that is one thing that cools me down after work is coming home to my fish and cats. Right now I am doing tank maintanance which i find to be very therapeutic

One thing hasnt changed lol. Pregnancy tests are still done like rabbits lol. The only thing that changed is the age group is younger...

Well, pregnancy tests are no longer done ON rabbits, thank goodness.

I think you have a fascinating job, and I'm thrilled the stem cell research is continuing and being more widely accepted. My cousin was cured, yep, completely CURED of a horrible form of leukemia. This was years ago, when the stem cell treatments were still experimental. So glad it's still ongoing!

Most reactions

Back