My Kribs Had Babies

deanrar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had my krib tank set up for about 2 weeks now and a pair in there from the start (used mature tank water from other tanks) well my female disapeared about a week ago and i feared the worst until yesterday she turned up in a little cave attackin anythnig that went near so i wondered babies?? well this morning before work i found lots of dots following her around her cave YAY so put everything else in breeding nets till they get bigger than mouth size, i'm so chuffed really didnt expect anything to happen so quickly.

Heres a little vid, sorry for the poor quality its taken on my phone.
krib female and babies

Wow...congrats on the babies. You were really lucky so far. There's really not much bacteria at all in the water colomn and imo not enough to establish a tank that fast. Were you doing water tests in this process?

Babies are always cute :blush:

the tanks i took the water from have been established for over a year and half was new and had guppies in there to get it going then got the kribs in with a baby red tailed black shark (now in a breeding net and two blue gourami (only small and now in breeding nets), i didnt do any tests so am really lucky, what chance have the babies got of surviving with only the female krib and a few tiny endlers around them?

the tanks i took the water from have been established for over a year and half was new and had guppies in there to get it going then got the kribs in with a baby red tailed black shark (now in a breeding net and two blue gourami (only small and now in breeding nets), i didnt do any tests so am really lucky, what chance have the babies got of surviving with only the female krib and a few tiny endlers around them?
It's just that 90%+ of the good bacteria are in the filters, not in the water column. My impression was that you started an entirely new tank w/only used water from an exsisting tank. So, I'm just suprised they breed and survived b/c they are probably enduring ammonia and nitrite spikes. Ammonia burns them and nitrite suffocates them. That's why I'm surprised that they breed and you haven't lost any yet :good: But it's only 2 fish in their initally, still I wouldn't think that there would've been enough bacteria in their to prevent the spikes.
It'd be good to go out and pic up a freshwater master test test that are in liquid form, if you don't have one already.

i am using two filters from other tanks too (should of said that) so hopefully all the good bacteria is in there already (well enough good bacteria, sounds like an actimel advert) and my brother has a test kit so will need to nick it soon to do some tests

CONGRATS! You really should have left the babies with the parents. They will do a fine job takeing care of them. Besides, they will grow faster in a full tank than in a breeding net.

Most reactions

Back