My journal to the central of sarawak,Borneo.

kuching

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am Michael Lo from Kuching,southern Sarawak state of East Malaysia,Borneo.

On my recent trip to a town called Sibu,central of Sarawak,I took a few pix.Its all about fish collection trip.

Here are some of the pix:

Giant mudskipper....I didn't collect this:

mudskipper-kabong.jpg

Puntius sp.:

p.jpg

Rajang river:

rajang-boat.jpg

Freshwater puffer:

c-salivator-betong.jpg

Rasbora bankanensis:

r.jpg

To see more pix.please visit my web page; the link:

http://www.boraras.netfirms.com/sibu.htm

Welcome to the board! What a great trip. I'll have to check out the site and see your whole story. Do you keep fish?

awesome,awesome,awesome! I just got some wild caught betta from Borneo and I scoured the internet looking for pics to replicate their natural habitat. Maybe you could tell me a little bit about the area they can be found in :hey: I know they like a very,very low PH and that's it :S

wuvmybetta said:
awesome,awesome,awesome! I just got some wild caught betta from Borneo and I scoured the internet looking for pics to replicate their natural habitat. Maybe you could tell me a little bit about the area they can be found in :hey: I know they like a very,very low PH and that's it :S
Yup,most of the wild betta found in low ph water....slow moving blackwater. But some species found in higher ph water,clear water & fast moving stream. But in limestone area (ph more than 7) I can't find any betta at all!

most of the fish pix are posted in my another site:

http://www.geocities.com/rasbora2004

and here,

http://www.geocities.com/kuchingensis

I'm crazy for wild fish !!! :wub:

wow,your sites are amazing!! I'm drooling....I have to go read now :hyper:

The kapuas betta that I have came in a water of 6.0. Right now I have them in straight RO and they're spawning (here they are) I'm glad you said slow moving though. I was thinking of up'ing the filtration a bit. Now I won't ;)

EDIT~
macrostoma.jpg

:hyper:
I want!!!!!! That's my dream betta :wub:

kuching said:
wuvmybetta said:
Yup,most of the wild betta found in low ph water....slow moving blackwater. But some species found in higher ph water,clear water & fast moving stream. But in limestone area (ph more than 7) I can't find any betta at all!

and here,

Hi there, Welcome to TTF! Great website btw. I'm from Malaysia too, but currently finishing my studies in Canada. I used to stay in Brunei as my parents work there, and there was always an abundance of wildlife to be found at every stream or river. Been to Kuching a few times, I have an uncle who was born and brought up there, Batu Kawa I think is the name of the place. Anyways, hope you continue to post more great pics.

Cheers,

wuvmybetta said:
wow,your sites are amazing!! I'm drooling....I have to go read now :hyper:

The kapuas betta that I have came in a water of 6.0. Right now I have them in straight RO and they're spawning (here they are) I'm glad you said slow moving though. I was thinking of up'ing the filtration a bit. Now I won't ;)

EDIT~
macrostoma.jpg

:hyper:
I want!!!!!! That's my dream betta :wub:
Betta macrostoma also my dream fish! But still, I haven't go to find their natural habitat near Brunei. That pix is taken by my friend,not me.

Where did u get the Kapuas betta? Which species? :thumbs:

Discomafia said:
kuching said:
wuvmybetta said:
awesome,awesome,awesome! I just got some wild caught betta from Borneo and I scoured the internet looking for pics to replicate their natural habitat. Maybe you could tell me a little bit about the area they can be found in  :hey: I know they like a very,very low PH and that's it :S

and here,

Hi there, Welcome to TTF! Great website btw. I'm from Malaysia too, but currently finishing my studies in Canada. I used to stay in Brunei as my parents work there, and there was always an abundance of wildlife to be found at every stream or river. Been to Kuching a few times, I have an uncle who was born and brought up there, Batu Kawa I think is the name of the place. Anyways, hope you continue to post more great pics.

Cheers,
Brunei! Then u must have seen that "Brunei beauty",Betta macrostoma!!! U got any pix of that fish??? B)

Sorry man, never used to bring my camera with me last time when I used to 'lepak' with my freinds. Usually at rivers or streams only to go fishing. However I have seen many pics of them online, and from what I've read, they can't be found at the places that I usually visit. If I'm not mistaken, they only can be found near a particular river that isn't really easy to get to. :crazy:

So I guess that even if I did have a camera, I wouldn't have been able to take a pic. Also, I didn't know about that fish until very recently (few months ago) and it's been years since I last went fishing in Borneo. Used to go to Miri and Sabah as well, snorkeling & scuba-diving in the islands off Sabah, Sinpadan and the rest, just :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: ...

Sorry to butt in.

Just wanted to say what a great thread. Im in the UK and, although very beautiful, am only used to seeing Roach and Trout fry (+ the usual) in the rivers I fish in..... :p

How lucky you are you can go out and see the natural habitat of these fish....
Amazing, truly amazing.......

You can carry on now :)

kuching said:
Not sure which species. Maybe you can identify them in the pics. I bought them from seller on Aquabid who focuses on wild type betta. Macrostoma go for $200-300 around here :eek: No wonder they're so expensive! They're oh so allusive :p

Discomafia said:
Sorry man, never used to bring my camera with me last time when I used to 'lepak' with my freinds. Usually at rivers or streams only to go fishing. However I have seen many pics of them online, and from what I've read, they can't be found at the places that I usually visit. If I'm not mistaken, they only can be found near a particular river that isn't really easy to get to. :crazy:

So I guess that even if I did have a camera, I wouldn't have been able to take a pic. Also, I didn't know about that fish until very recently (few months ago) and it's been years since I last went fishing in Borneo. Used to go to Miri and Sabah as well, snorkeling & scuba-diving in the islands off Sabah, Sinpadan and the rest, just :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: ...
There are some interesting fish in sabah! But i haven't go that far...thats northern Borneo,too far from my home(I'm in south-western Borneo)!!

B.macrostoma can be found in small jungle stream....of brunei.....hope i can see them next time I visit Brunei. But in our northern sarawak also got this betta.....but in remote area. :rolleyes:

Fawke said:
Sorry to butt in.

Just wanted to say what a great thread. Im in the UK and, although very beautiful, am only used to seeing Roach and Trout fry (+ the usual) in the rivers I fish in..... :p

How lucky you are you can go out and see the natural habitat of these fish....
Amazing, truly amazing.......

You can carry on now :)
Thanks!! :p

wuvmybetta said:
kuching said:
Not sure which species. Maybe you can identify them in the pics. I bought them from seller on Aquabid who focuses on wild type betta. Macrostoma go for $200-300 around here :eek: No wonder they're so expensive! They're oh so allusive :p
Yes,its an expensive fish....but they are not available in our local fish shop because all of them export to overseas to earn foreign currency.....so until now I haven't seen it in my place even it can be found in northern Sarawak state of East Malaysia.

Yes,post ur wild betta pix,see i can id the fish or not.

Most reactions

Back