My Jawfish Is A Wus!

jahouli

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone else had experience of jawfish being scared of the dark? Mine tries to jump out of the tank if the moon lights aren't on.

It might not be that it dosnt like the dark.
It might be becuase of shock from when the lights are on to when you turn them off and the tank goes dark.
My wrasse used to try jump out when i turned my lights off so i put the moonlight on now before i turn them off.

No. My tank is in the bedroom. I have some rather dim moonlights that I leave on all night. But we had a powercut the other night and within minutes he was trying to jump from the tank. I put a net over the tank and left him for an hour or so but the jumping didn't subside, so I got a torch and shined it at his burrow. After 10 minutes he was back in the burrow and stayed there all night with the torch on.

It happened all the time before I got the blue lights. I didn't get the lights for him but noticed he stopped jumping when we put them on - but kinda thought maybe that just coincided with him being more settled and having a more permanent burrow but now after this happening there's only one conclusion.

I'd like to do the experiment again but it stresses him out a lot, and I nearly lost him once when he managed to jump into the turbo floter compartment.

I shouldnt get too worried then. I think its just down to stress of the lights going off.
If i were you i wouldnt do it again becuase stress can create all sorts of problems, it can even cause whitespot.

Most reactions

Back