My Home Made Fry Trap

godfather2

Reaction score
My home made fry trap for fry to small to be seen
As with most of small cichlids and gobies I came across a problem catching fry before they get eaten peacock gobies always seem to hatch a night or got nowhere to put parents so this is what I came up with and works just great for a few quid ….see images thanx

1 – Buy yourself a single/double internal sponge filter both break down the same (fig 1)
2 – Get old internal box filter from a jewel tank people take these out and get rid of them as they take up tank space (fig 2)
3 – Take off sponges (fig 3)
4 – Remove arm leave elbow (fig 4)
5 – Turn bottom elbow 180deg (fig 5)
6 – Get piece of speed pipe 6inch long (fig 6)
7 – Wrap elastic band around bottom elbow where arrowed (fig 7)
8 – Until it fits speed pipe snugly (fig 8)
9 – Cover bottom intake holes front and back with plastic and silicone drill two holes in box to attach filter stem when drilling these make sure u put the holes in a good place its up to u where. I kept mine at the bottom (fig 9)
10 – fix stem nice and snug if to big like my first just wrap elastic band round top elbow and bottom can be fixed with air hose fitted from inside if box fits your tank without cutting it down fine as you need these last two holes, if you cut box down and holes are lost don’t worry just drill new ones below water level cover these holes with filter wool sheet I hold mine on with elastic bands well folks that about it just put it in tank attach air hose and pump (fig 10) this can also be put to caves hope this helps someone out

question on your pictures..are you some graphic designer or trying to patent this thing.

I was expecting some digital pics and I see a nice diagrams of pictures. just curious

yes biulu young fry end up in juwel filter box as im only a simple breeder i dont have the luxery of a fish house with plenty of tank space the fry r then moved to a 36 x18 x15 inch to grow on

yes biulu young fry end up in juwel filter box as im only a simple breeder i dont have the luxery of a fish house with plenty of tank space the fry r then moved to a 36 x18 x15 inch to grow on

Clever concept! I could use that too! I do have some space, but the other half says that 1 fish tank in the living room is more than enough... :angry:

Most reactions

Back