My Guppy Preggo Problems?

Regalz

Reaction score
So im a first time breeder starting with first time fish.
They both seem to have been preggo for a long time, longer then normal.
Anyway- this morning i couldnt find the pattern tailed one. I dug through the tank and removed the other fish and some decor to find her alive to my suprise. I thought for sure she was dead. Anyway, comparing pattern to non pattern i have found she has slimmed down. Im assuming she has had her fry and eaten them since ive thoroughly looked through the tank. I found her down the bottom hovering in a darkish place. Since ive found her she has come back up the top.
Can anyone confirm the non patterns pregnauncy and how far along?
and maybe telll me if they look sick or anything?
and maybe if you agree if pattern has dropped fry???
edit: I made a breeding box just incase. One is on its way butttt...

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I think first pic looks pregnant and second doesn't. You mentioned before that poop isn't white and stringy so maybe not an issue with worms.

You could still have some fry but often before dropping other fish gather too and they will all try eat fry along with mother.

I have been surprised at fry that survived hidden in a cave, hard to see along my substrate, feeding on java Moss.

I wouldn't put the mother in a breeder box as it'll stress her and could lead to losses. Instead when you see a very square looking tummy keep close eye. Try to catch fry and put them in the box. Do you have floating plants? I found lots of my Fry in the floating plants.

I think first pic looks pregnant and second doesn't. You mentioned before that poop isn't white and stringy so maybe not an issue with worms.

You could still have some fry but often before dropping other fish gather too and they will all try eat fry along with mother.

I have been surprised at fry that survived hidden in a cave, hard to see along my substrate, feeding on java Moss.

I wouldn't put the mother in a breeder box as it'll stress her and could lead to losses. Instead when you see a very square looking tummy keep close eye. Try to catch fry and put them in the box. Do you have floating plants? I found lots of my Fry in the floating plants.

Yeah, i made the box to scoop them into if needed. I looked trough the tank, nothing.. Should i remove the one thats dropped to improve survival rates?

No. Don't remove fish. As long as your tank us t overcrowded it's fine. Maybe increase feeding a little when you see the pregnant fish look square and big. It can be frustrating but you can only let nature take its course and be patient.

yeah... ok. Im going to clean the tank and check everything over again then add the fishy back

What size is the tank, and what's the current stocking?
If you take some full tank photos, we might be able to make suggestions to improve fry survival rate. But when you have two females who have been gravid, it's only a matter of time before you have more fry than you can even hope for, with very little if any intervention needed. Guppies are prolific.

What size is the tank, and what's the current stocking?
If you take some full tank photos, we might be able to make suggestions to improve fry survival rate. But when you have two females who have been gravid, it's only a matter of time before you have more fry than you can even hope for, with very little if any intervention needed. Guppies are prolific.
I think its 15-16 litres, so not massive.
I have a plastic floating plant, two real floating plants, I have a viking hat, loads of fake plants and a fry scoop thing to put them in.

I think its 15-16 litres, so not massive.
I have a plastic floating plant, two real floating plants, I have a viking hat, loads of fake plants and a fry scoop thing to put them in.
You're really going to need a bigger tank. 4-5 gallons isn't large enough guppies, they do need some swimming room, especially when you're breeding and want to raise fry as well.

You're really going to need a bigger tank. 4-5 gallons isn't large enough guppies, they do need some swimming room, especially when you're breeding and want to raise fry as well.
At the moment with covid i cant afford one and i'm not supposed to go out. I have one that is slightly better but its cycling and has nothing in it.

Most reactions

Back