My Guppy Is Acting Strange

Glamzar

Reaction score
Sometime last night one of my guppies had died and I could tell it upset my other guppy. The nest time I checked on him, he was spending more time closer to the top of the tank and his tail seemed more torn then it had which I thought the goldfish probably did. So I moved my guppy to a small tank away from the goldfish. But he is swimming right at the top of the water. I can't tell if he is gasping or not, the water is quite a bit colder than the previous tank he was in but its warmer now but he hasn't settled. I read that there might not be enough oxygen or he might have an infection but I have know idea to tell either.

Sometime last night one of my guppies had died and I could tell it upset my other guppy. The nest time I checked on him, he was spending more time closer to the top of the tank and his tail seemed more torn then it had which I thought the goldfish probably did. So I moved my guppy to a small tank away from the goldfish. But he is swimming right at the top of the water. I can't tell if he is gasping or not, the water is quite a bit colder than the previous tank he was in but its warmer now but he hasn't settled. I read that there might not be enough oxygen or he might have an infection but I have know idea to tell either.

Is the tank cycled?
How big is the original tank?
How big is the guppy's current tank?

The original tank id five gallons I believe and the new tank is much smaller, just a few cups. There is no filter or anything.

The original tank id five gallons I believe and the new tank is much smaller, just a few cups. There is no filter or anything.

Goldfish can not live in 5 gallons of water, they they around six times that amount. If there is no filter the fish will be poisoned by the waste they produce themselves(ammonia). You need tofind a new home for the goldfish and guppy, either return them to a shop or arrange more suitable living conditions yourself. In the short term do an extremely large water change (around 90%, as much as the fish can swim upright in when the water is removed) and always make sure to de-chlorify the water using conditioner.
If you are serious about keeping fish (if you are not, don't keep them) you need to do a lot of research in how to properly care for them. The beginners section in this forum would be a good place to start.

Its a very large tank that my goldfish is in and I am not a good judge of volume it could be ten. I just moved my guppy a few hours ago he hasn't produced any waste yet. And I am not a bad fishy parent I had many fish before but the goldfish I have now was a victim of fish pong that I rescued and my guppy's best friend just died and has just been moved into a new tank. There are onside problems that have nothing to do with his strange behavior, also I concluded he has shimmies as well.

Any chance of either a picture or the measurements of the tanks height, width and length to confirm a size please?

OK then, never mind he is magically cured. Thank you for the help though and he still has shimmies but I working on that. I checked him two seconds ago and he was at his normal water level but not five minutes he was all the way at the top and had been since I moved him. Very strange.

Volume calculator, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/converter/volume-calculator.php

so you can check to see if you keep them in the right sized tanks.

Guppies are tropical fish, goldfish are cold water. They shouldnt really be in the same tank as far as I know.

The water is a little more then room temperature in the big tank. My guppy has been moved back into it.

Most reactions

Back