My green swordtail dropped her fry...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Yesterday I´ve moved one of my very pregnant ladies to a smaller tank where she could drop her fry. I know that it´s often said overhere that you shouldn´t be moving pregnant ladies but I know what I´m doing overhere. No worries! Never had problems by doing this.

I was very convinced not to wait any longer. And last evening she gave birth to approx. 80 fry (this is an estimation). Also this mama left her fry alone. I guess, by tomorrrow I'll move the fry to another tank with other swordtail fry.

There are definitely 2 colors in there from what I'm able to see.

IMG_8184.JPG

IMG_8283.JPG

IMG_8361.JPG

IMG_8317.JPG

Overhere 2 videos of yesterday evening.

And here some pictures of today
IMG_8413.JPG

IMG_8414.JPG

IMG_8415.JPG

Also overhere those fry of one day old.

Sure is a lot of them, makes you wonder how they all fit inside. Must be like one of those circus clown cars with all the clowns pour out of. :rofl:
Well, she´s not that small either... And I was pretty sure yesterday that it would be a matter of hours that she´d drop fry.

Wow!!! That is a lot of fry you got from her! Congrats! It's always exciting when a fish has babies! Your photos are really good. And wow your female was very pregnant! I hope you are really happy with them, I sure would be! And have fun raising them! :D

Wow!!! That is a lot of fry you got from her! Congrats! It's always exciting when a fish has babies! Your photos are really good. And wow your female was very pregnant! I hope you are really happy with them, I sure would be! And have fun raising them! :D
Well, she was close to 6 weeks. And she already started to be nervous. And I had the expectation that the fry would be large or high in number if you'd look at her body. In the first photo she had already dropped a number of fry. So yes, she was huge... Today I've moved her to her normal tank. And again, she left her fry alone.

Congrats on being swordtails parent ;) I’m still waiting my swordtail to drop her fries.

Most reactions

Back