My Goldie

Bojangles

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Marmalade :blush: Girlfriend picked the name

I have had my goldie tank up and running a good few months now but not had a bulb in the tank so i bought a new one and got it working now when i turn my light on Marmalade goes mental but it kinda looks like its a happy mental i hope anyways

Should i keep the light turned off just incase its stressing her out?

Hello,

It is most likely shock, turn the light on for a couple of hours each day and steadily increase the photoperiod to around eight hours over the space of a week or two.

I hope this helps.

Hello,

It is most likely shock, turn the light on for a couple of hours each day and steadily increase the photoperiod to around eight hours over the space of a week or two.

I hope this helps.

Cheers for the reply will do as ya suggest with the light.

Another question

My 60 ltre coldwater tank tank looks kind of bare with just the goldie and 3 minnows to keep her company can i add more minnows or maybe some other small fish?

You need a bigger tank as soon as possible for the goldfish. Forget adding anything else before you sort that out. They( normal shaped goldfish ) have an adult size of around 14 inches. One fancy goldfish is recorded to have reached 17 inches in length so that should give you a good indication of the sizes they can reach when you keep them as they should be kept.

If you keep it in that 60 litre you will drastically shorten it's lifespan ( they can live for 30 years+ ) stunt it's growth ( crush it's internal organs because the skeleton stops growing while the organs do not ) and it will generally not live the life it should.

This isn't a comment on your fishkeeping ability. I'm sure the tank is well filtered ect, but it is simply FAR too small for the fish. Even if she is only small now, she will need growing space and 60 litres is nowhere near enough. Youwill need a 40 gallon for that one goldfish, 55 gallons ( a tank about 4 foot long ) and you could have two goldfish ( 1 friend for her, but no more than that ) or a good sized school of white clouds . You will also need a good strong filter. Goldfish are really messy things, poo a hell of a lot and they need efficient filtration and frequent largish water changes to keep the water in good order.

As for the light, just short intervals with it on to get her used to it as previously said.

Gold fish dont grow that fast, eventualy you will need a bigger tank but for now you should be fine, with any forum I think you are going to find multiple opinions, do your research and make up your mind, I have 6 fancy Gold fish in a 75 gallon and there is plenty of room in there for them they get 30% of thier water changed every week.

If and when they get large enough to warrant a new tank I will get a 110 for them I can see that it will take some time for them to attain MONSTER status.

I am sorry but I have read alot about gold fish and have never heard of a 17" fancy gold fish please post a link or show a picture of that fish.

It was in a magazine not on the internet although I will look for it of course. 75 gallons will be more than fine for yours for a fair while as that is a LOT of water to grow in. Yes it takes years for them to attain monstyer staus, but the ones that do generally have ponds and very large tanks to do it in from the beginning. These are the ones that reach the 30+ years of age that they should, and the size that they should. If you stunt them to begin with, they won't reach their full size.

Goldfish DO grow relatively quickly, certainly they won't sprout out to 14 or so inches within a year, but they will grow a good few inches within the first few months. And they need room to grow. 60 litres is not enough space for that. Sure I mean she'll be fine for a couple of months ( I wasn't saying go out this absolute second and get one ) , but soon she will need the bigger tank and a good filter.Even a 30 gallon is better than nothing for a single one for now, ad she could add to her school of minnows as well in a tank that size.

Most reactions

Back