My fish tank lighting just quit. Help?

does it have an accessible starter.? ..some old fixtures had a cylindrical shaped starter located just under the light tube on the fixture.
Also try removing tube, reverse it and then reinstall it. Press on off switch once you install it to be sure it is "on".
Do you have another tube from another light in the house to test if it's the tube? How old is the fixture.
You could also try bypassing the switch by opening up the fixture, cut the wires ( make sure you unplug unit first) going to the switch and then strip the ends of the wires and twist them together and then use electrical tape to cover the joint.

does it have an accessible starter.? ..some old fixtures had a cylindrical shaped starter located just under the light tube on the fixture.
Also try removing tube, reverse it and then reinstall it. Press on off switch once you install it to be sure it is "on".
Do you have another tube from another light in the house to test if it's the tube? How old is the fixture.
You could also try bypassing the switch by opening up the fixture, cut the wires ( make sure you unplug unit first) going to the switch and then strip the ends of the wires and twist them together and then use electrical tape to cover the joint.
I'll take some pictures in a few minutes cause I have no idea what you mean lol

Heres the pictures. Does this show what you need? I'm not sure how old the fixture is. I dont have another tube but could get one if I have to. ow much does a new fixture cost of I need to replace it?

Attachments

• 20200528_175936.jpg
    20200528_175936.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20200528_175946.jpg
    20200528_175946.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 20200528_175914.jpg
    20200528_175914.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
did you usually use the on off switch or did you have it on a timer or just unplug it at night?

how long have you been using the fixture..or did you get it with your new tank..

how long have you been using the fixture..or did you get it with your new tank..
It came with my new tank but I've been using it with my old tank for the last number of weeks. It may be old lol

If you want to go for a new bulb, be sure it say 6500K or "daylight". That is best for plant growth. If you buy it locally, you could always return it if it doesnt solve the issue.

If it's not a burnt out bulb, my next bet would be the switch is bad. If you remove the screws on the fixture and expose the wires going to the switch, you could bypass the switch by cutting the two wires going to the switch and stripping the ends of the wires with a razor blade and then twist the wires together tightly and seal with some electrical tape. Maybe dad can help you. But you would lose use of the switch. You should have the light on a timer anyways. If your dad is handy, he can test the switch with a voltmeter before messing with cutting the wires.

If you want to go for a new bulb, be sure it say 6500K or "daylight". That is best for plant growth. If you buy it locally, you could always return it if it doesnt solve the issue.

If it's not a burnt out bulb, my next bet would be the switch is bad. If you remove the screws on the fixture and expose the wires going to the switch, you could bypass the switch by cutting the two wires going to the switch and stripping the ends of the wires with a razor blade and then twist the wires together tightly and seal with some electrical tape. Maybe dad can help you. But you would lose use of the switch. You should have the light on a timer anyways. If your dad is handy, he can test the switch with a voltmeter before messing with cutting the wires.
Ok. Hes not handy :rofl: but we can try. Thanks @Fishmanic!

A cheap way to go. Get a couple of clip-on floodlights from Home Depot. The plain ones that are about -$5 or so.
Then you can get a couple of LED lights rated at 5000 k, in at least 60 wt. equivalent. Probably want bigger. I use LED flood lights. The 5000k works great my plants love it.

Got a new bulb. Daylight 6500 k.

It works! Thanks everyone!

Home depot. Phillips brand. $10 for a 2 pack.
yay...glad you solved the problem...where did you buy the bulb...what brand? cost?

Most reactions

Back