• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jamesham

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to know what people think of my community tank.

There is:

4 Swordtails (They're in :wub: )
2 Albino Cory Cats (the cleaners)
2 unknown small plecos (2-3 inches) (the new boys on the block)
1 red tailed black shark (daddy fish)
5 neon tetras (the grandchildren)

Oh, and eh do you think it would be OK to mix a red tailed botia loach with my red tailed shark and 2 albino cory cats?

Thanks for the to come answers!

not gonna vote, it's not awful but there may be some issues to address

the swordtails and the platys.... what ratio of m and f do you have?

cories need to be in groups of 6+

RTBS may get agressive as he gets older

A red tailed botia and a Red Tailed Shark will almost certainly end badly.

why? they are two different types of fish and the only common thing is the red tail? :blink:

miss wiggle, sorry about the mistake, they are plecos not platys

not gonna vote, it's not awful but there may be some issues to address

the swordtails and the platys.... what ratio of m and f do you have?

cories need to be in groups of 6+

RTBS may get agressive as he gets older

the swordtails are three females to 1 male

the cory cats are fine as they always are doing different things in the tank and barely notice each other

and so far the rtbs is fine, he's a small boy!, he likes the tetras and doesn't at all try to harm them

Sorry, I should have explained my reason. The Red Tailed Shark is ver intolerant of any fish quite similar to it, in shape mostly and colour. I think, not sure that the Botia you are referring to is A Red Tailed Botia Loach, I found a few different scientific names but the one pic I found it was very very like a RTBS but had red fins aswell and was more a dark grey/blue then blasck. They also grow to 10" I think which could have bad effects on the amount of neons you end up with, i.e it will probably eat them. Sorry if it is a different species but I think it's the right one. Hope this helps.

need to be even more careful if they're plec's! some of them get very big.... I'd get an ID on them asap, if you post a pic in the plec section they'll help

Sorry, I should have explained my reason. The Red Tailed Shark is ver intolerant of any fish quite similar to it, in shape mostly and colour. I think, not sure that the Botia you are referring to is A Red Tailed Botia Loach, I found a few different scientific names but the one pic I found it was very very like a RTBS but had red fins aswell and was more a dark grey/blue then blasck. They also grow to 10" I think which could have bad effects on the amount of neons you end up with, i.e it will probably eat them. Sorry if it is a different species but I think it's the right one. Hope this helps.

yeah, that's the right one

The Details of The Loach

thanks

Yeah, sorry but they will almost definately rip each other apart once they are about 2.5-3" in size. Looks a very nice fish though. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

Sorry not going to vote either... no way to tell if this stock is a good thing or a bad thing because you didn't list the size of your tank :( All that would go fine in a 20gallon tank (get rid of the RTBS and Plecs first though) If not then a 55gallon would be a good size seeing as Plecos, if they're the common variety, can get upto 18" or more! My commons 13" right now and I feel terrible having him a 55gallon, but he'll be moved to a 110gallon next weekend...

You'd need bigger than a 55g for 3 common plecs even if they were on their own. More like 100g absolute min. Not only so they can move around, but with all the mess they make it'd be a nightmare on the water in a 55g.

Didn't vote either as you dont say how big your tank is.

Sorry not going to vote either... no way to tell if this stock is a good thing or a bad thing because you didn't list the size of your tank :( All that would go fine in a 20gallon tank (get rid of the RTBS and Plecs first though) If not then a 55gallon would be a good size seeing as Plecos, if they're the common variety, can get upto 18" or more! My commons 13" right now and I feel terrible having him a 55gallon, but he'll be moved to a 110gallon next weekend...

100l

unfourtunately your tank is not big enough

4 Swordtails - that's alright
2 Albino Cory Cats - need to be in groups of around 6, they'll be alright though
2 unknown small plecos - if bought as commons they need to go, sorry, but plecs are poo machines, and commons can grow up to 18 inches/2 foot
1 red tailed black shark- needs 40 gallon minimum, very active and can get aggressive
5 neon tetras - those are fine

so basically, up the cories, get rid of plecs (take em back to fish store), and rtbs, or you could upgrade to a 40 and keep it.

sorry if it sounds negative but, its true

im not usually one to bear down on people overstocking or mixing dangerous fish as my tank runs like clockwork and ive never done a water test :blush:

but the plecs can get huge

the shark will get bog and agressive..........and eat its grandchildren :(

sorry to be another bearer of bad news, hope you can sort it out easily and try doing a little research on the fish you intend to buy in future its for thier benefit, and you wont go wasting your money on things that are going to become dinne

nope - sorri!!

i am not keen on plecs full stop - only the fact that they are massive pooop producers and mant that are sold are labelled incorrectly and sold as "common"

Most reactions

Back