My fish keep dieing

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just out of interest, does Melafix damage/kill the bacteria in filters?? and can you get melafix in the UK?

If not, what would the best thing be to use?

Sorry for all the questions.

Si

No and yes ;)
Melafix is perfectly safe for use with plants and the bacteria that you need to keep. But it wont take any prisoners with 'bad' bacteria. It smells really nice as well. You can get it in the UK. Most decent fish shops should stock it. It's not the cheapest medication on the market but I think that it's one of the best.

The ph is more deadly to fish when it changes suddenly (ph shock) normally more than 10 in a day. From 7.0 - 7.1 for example. What I meant was that if the fish are used to a ph of 8.0 and it's does not change up or down rapidly they will be ok. Obviously some species of fish wont be able to tollerate ph that high especially wild caught fish, Discus and some Tetras. Livebearers are known to live in fairly hard, alkaline water, which is why they are rarely used or kept in tanks with acid loving fish ;)

If your LFS has a similar ph then it will be less stresful for the fish when they are introduced to your aquarium, providing it is done carefully.
Discus keepers are always informed that they will have better results if they mathc the water at their LFS ;)

A quick update, I started putting melafix in the tank on Saturday. I have now lost another guppy and my L015 plec has just died!!!!

What is going on

Si

Most reactions

Back