My fish are sick or dying

FoundMoney

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This afternoon I looked in my tank and had a horrible shock. I saw one of my Von Rio tetras dead. These were my first fish and about two weeks ago I found one of them struggling for life so I euthanized it. Now it looks as if two more have died as I found one body, five fish, and some very small bits of flesh being clutched by one of my ghost shrimp.

The newer of my female cockatoos, which have had for about a week, has suddenly shown some very alarming signs. I saw her in the corner of the tank facing up, breathing slightly heavily. She also seemed to have some kind of problem with her vision. While her eyes were not cloudy or buldging, they did not look quite right. It also seemed like she could not see, and although did not have trouble swimming, per se, seemed to have trouble navigating.

My female agassizi, which has seemed healthy for the last 3 weeks, was seen hiding in a clump of plants, which is not normal behavior. Especially in the last week, she has become very bold and rarely hides anymore.

My male agassizi, which has taken over the tank, is not acting normally either. While he is swimming around, he did not make any moves to chase the other fish as he normally does and when I put some food in the tank this afternoon he made no move towards it. None of the dwarf chiclids in the tank made any moves towards the food this afternoon. They all seemed to be eating fine yesterday. Incidentally, I didn't report this, but the male cockatoo that I added last week, the same time as the new female, died yesterday morning. He had looked healthy the night before but was being badly chased by the agassizi, as I had reported earlier.

I'm sorry for all the details but I'm very concerned, upset and frustrated. My water parameters all seem good. Everything is at zero. The only thing I can say about my tank is that the pH tends to go up over the course of the week. When first doing a water change it is around 6.8. Testing it today it is at about 7.2. My last water change was on Friday. I have a feeling there is something wrong with my tank besides water paramaters. Could there be some kind of parasite? I don't know what to do. It seems like I almost have to start over to get my water back to normal but what do I do with my fish and plants?

Any help, support or advice is greatly appreciated.

Heavy breathing can be a sign of gill parasites, are the gills red and inflamed, and have they been flicking and rubbing against objects, the eyes could it be eye flukes can you see anything.

Diplostomum spathaceum (Eye fluke)

A. Digenetic fluke; metacercaria is infective state in fish.

B. Gulls and pelicans are the definitive host. Snails (Lymnaea sp.) are the first intermediate host. Fish (salmonids) are the second intermediate host.

C. Clinically, the metacercaria are presented as white dots; later the eye becomes opaque. Blindness occurs in severe infections. The metacercaria are found in the anterior chamber, vitreous body, and lens causing cataracts.

Wilder said:
Heavy breathing can be a sign of gill parasites, are the gills red and inflamed, and have they been flicking and rubbing against objects, the eyes could it be eye flukes can you see anything.
I did not notice any redness but I did notice some flicking.

What possible course of action should I take? Should I medicate the tank for parasites? Could there be another possible problem? Will medication harm the plants, invertebrates?

Unfortunately, I have a major paper due for grad school on Tuesday. I can't afford to be spending time setting up hospital tanks. Yikes! I'm really depressed :(

One other symptom, at least with the female cockatoo. Her color is very dark.

For gill fluikes best course of action is to medicate the whole tank, if they have been heavy breathing and flicking i would medicate for gill flukes, darkening of colour can be a bacteria infection.

Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate Algicide, bacterial problems, fungicide,
external protozoa, such as ich
oodinium sliminess of the skin and flukes 1 drop per gallon. and checked every 24 hours for total ppm.

You need a copper test kit to safely use copper. I don't recommend it for newbies.
Warning never use copper when
hardness of water is less
then 50ppm. Safer at 200ppm.
DE-LOS AND SALT Used to control anchor worms, lice and gill flukes. ½ teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. Warning not much is known about this compounds effects on tropical fish.

OK, I have salt on hand (I know, not table salt). So I should add 1 1/2 teaspoons for 30 gallons. I've read that temperature should be raised with parasites. I'm at about 78 right now. Should I raise it? Will the salt hurt my bristlenose or ottos?

Can't use salt with them they are scaless fish, yes turn temp up.

Interesting, I also have formalite/malachite green on hand. I got it when I first had trouble with a cockatoo cichlid but was hesitant to use it. The fish ended up surviving but sustained permanent eye damage (it may not have been protozoa).

Will this kill my shrimp?

Clout
Manufacturer: Aquarium Products
A very strong and effective medication for parasitic and protozoan infestations. Treats: Ich, Hydra, leeches, Planaria, Epistylis, Trichodina, Hexamita,Tetrahy-mena, body fungus, digenetic flukes, parasitic copepods, monogenetic flukes and anchor worms.

Malachite Green
For treatment of external parasites as well as external fungal infections of fishes and eggs which include Achlya and Saprolegnia.
Malachite Green (zinc free) 100% Cures Ich, fungus, oodinium (velvet) mouth fungus, and prevents fungus on some eggs, most effective when used with salt. 28.4 grams make 1 gallon. Then use 1 drop per gallon.

Most reactions

Back