My First Tropical Tank!

My fish=in cycling knowledge isn't that great i'm afraid but yes if you have put a fish into a tank that hasn't been cycled then your filter will not have the adequate levels of bacteria needed to break down the ammonia caused by the fish's waste etc. As far as I know (hope someone will correct me if wrong) it's vitally important that the Ammonia and Nitrites be kept below 0.25ppm by performing 50% water changes as and when necessary. You will need to be testing your water parameters at least daily to ensure these levels are kept low.

My fish=in cycling knowledge isn't that great i'm afraid but yes if you have put a fish into a tank that hasn't been cycled then your filter will not have the adequate levels of bacteria needed to break down the ammonia caused by the fish's waste etc. As far as I know (hope someone will correct me if wrong) it's vitally important that the Ammonia and Nitrites be kept below 0.25ppm by performing 50% water changes as and when necessary. You will need to be testing your water parameters at least daily to ensure these levels are kept low.

I have added my 1+month old filter into my old tank to help it with cycle!

Ok. There isn't a lot more you can do until you get your testing kit. When you do, i'd recommend you post your water stats either here or on the new tank forum so that people can advise you further. Firstly you will need to test you tap water so you can get a baseline reading. You will test it for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH. You only need to do this test once. Then, you must daily ( some people recommend twice daily) check and post the test results for your tank water. By posting your results on the forum you will have plenty of people on hand to help and advise should you need it. I find it helps reading other peoples cycling threads (fish-in for you not fishless...unless the fish comes out) There you can get lots of answers to the many questions you may still have.
lookaround.gif

Ok. There isn't a lot more you can do until you get your testing kit. When you do, i'd recommend you post your water stats either here or on the new tank forum so that people can advise you further. Firstly you will need to test you tap water so you can get a baseline reading. You will test it for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH. You only need to do this test once. Then, you must daily ( some people recommend twice daily) check and post the test results for your tank water. By posting your results on the forum you will have plenty of people on hand to help and advise should you need it. I find it helps reading other peoples cycling threads (fish-in for you not fishless...unless the fish comes out) There you can get lots of answers to the many questions you may still have.
lookaround.gif

Thanks, so I have to do the 4 tests on my tap water?

I will post my ph(strips for now), nitrate and ammonia the morra, see what you lot think!

:)

lookaround.gif

Thanks, so I have to do the 4 tests on my tap water?

I will post my ph(strips for now), nitrate and ammonia the morra, see what you lot think!

:)

Yes you will need to test your tap water. Some people have discovered tiny amounts of ammonia in their tap water, which ultimately, effected their tank water ammonia levels. As you are doing a fish-in cycle it's so important that you set up a new fish-in cycle thread in the new tank forum as you will need support from the experts on there. It will be confusing at times but there are a lot of people who can get you through it.

Oh and forgot to mention that when you start your new thread you will need to state what tank you have, the size/volume, what type of filter, heater and temp tank is running at. Take a look at some of the other cycling threads to get an idea of the sort of info you need to add.

Ammonia is between 0 and 0.6
Nitrate is 5
Ph done with a test strip is 7
Do I need to keep adding nutrafin cycle?
My lamp is 10w

Most reactions

Back