My First Tropical Tank!

manutd4life

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Finally got my first tropical fish today!

Got two cheery shrimp and a siamese fighting fish!

Thinking about getting an Apple snail the morra.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Oh I got a few live plants in there aswell.

Got two *cheery shrimp and a siamese fighting fish!

I have a recommendation for you.......tell us all about the type/size/capacity/filtration of your new tank and maybe how the cycling was done before adding your cheery (happy? ;) ) shrimps lol. *Cherry

Got two *cheery shrimp and a siamese fighting fish!

I have a recommendation for you.......tell us all about the type/size/capacity/filtration of your new tank and maybe how the cycling was done before adding your cheery (happy? ;) ) shrimps lol. *Cherry

Lol, I have trouble writing cherry for some reason, well spotted! Lol

you still havent said how big the tank is, what kind of filtration and how you cycled......(if at all)

I have the mature filter from my other tank in it! And used the stuff I got with the tank!

No one had a problem in the other thread when I said I will be gettin tropical fish this weekend, you had the opportunity to offer advice this last week about me getting them!!!

I have the mature filter from my other tank in it! And used the stuff I got with the tank!

No one had a problem in the other thread when I said I will be gettin tropical fish this weekend, you had the opportunity to offer advice this last week about me getting them!!!
You were given advice by lots of people on lots of issues. Whether you have mature media or not the tank still needs to be cycled. I am presuming you are doing a fish-in cycle ?? If you give the info that you have been asked regarding filtration tank size heating and what method of cycling you are pursuing then people will be able to advise you better. you have put live plants in the tank, do you have adequate lighting to enable the plants to thrive ?? and what substrate have you planted them into ?? People are only trying to help.

You were given advice by lots of people on lots of issues. Whether you have mature media or not the tank still needs to be cycled. I am presuming you are doing a fish-in cycle ?? If you give the info that you have been asked regarding filtration tank size heating and what method of cycling you are pursuing then people will be able to advise you better. you have put live plants in the tank, do you have adequate lighting to enable the plants to thrive ?? and what substrate have you planted them into ?? People are only trying to help.

I'm sorry buy I feel every time I create a thread people are having a go at me. Not everyone that joins this site has the knowledge you guys have about fish and tanks. Us newbies will follow the info we get with the tank and think its safe to add fish! You may be trying to help but the way you (not you personally) come across is rather aggressive and threatening.

My tank us a 30l, temp is around 25c. I have the light that I turn on a few hours a day plus the daylight but not direct daylight.

What do you mean by filtration?

:hyper: WHAT IS WITH THE HOSTILITY!!!!! :shout:

:lol:

By filtration , asking what type of filter,,,,HOB/undergravel/internal.etc.etc...........
If you have live plants , what type of bulb/ how many Kelvin/ Watts???

I am NO expert either buddy but I am learning TONS on this WONDERFUL site, we are all just trying to help but If you only answe the questions you want to hear we really can't help you at all.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG :rofl:

:hyper: WHAT IS WITH THE HOSTILITY!!!!! :shout:

:lol:

By filtration , asking what type of filter,,,,HOB/undergravel/internal.etc.etc...........
If you have live plants , what type of bulb/ how many Kelvin/ Watts???

I am NO expert either buddy but I am learning TONS on this WONDERFUL site, we are all just trying to help but If you only answe the questions you want to hear we really can't help you at all.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG :rofl:

Not sure about the filtration, its a biorb tank so if you could tell me that would be great. I will check the lamp in the morning for the voltage.

No one is having a go at you and i'm sorry if I have helped to make you feel like that. I am a newbie too and understand that when you first start out things can be extremely confusing. That's where this Forum is a godsend to me. I am not an experienced fish keeper by any means. I have spent a lot of time researching Tropical Fish care and have been given wonderful advice by people on here. I would be lost without this Forum. Getting your fish set up correctly is vital, and will save you much heartache further down the line. People are trying to point you in the right direction, but it's as important that you heed people's advice. No one is trying to put you down. You will learn so much from people on here but you have to be open to their suggestions. Whether you take people's advice is completely up to you as no one can force you to do something you don't want. But please understand we only want to help.

Wow!

Hey, just got back from Spain, checked out my fav forum, saw your new thread (unaware that you had a previous one) and suggested to you (with my usual humor)that you add your stats as without them no one can recommend anything to you. Same advice I give to all.......

This is a happy place for advice seekers and givers...........or at least it was when I left :/

No one is having a go at you and i'm sorry if I have helped to make you feel like that. I am a newbie too and understand that when you first start out things can be extremely confusing. That's where this Forum is a godsend to me. I am not an experienced fish keeper by any means. I have spent a lot of time researching Tropical Fish care and have been given wonderful advice by people on here. I would be lost without this Forum. Getting your fish set up correctly is vital, and will save you much heartache further down the line. People are trying to point you in the right direction, but it's as important that you heed people's advice. No one is trying to put you down. You will learn so much from people on here but you have to be open to their suggestions. Whether you take people's advice is completely up to you as no one can force you to do something you don't want. But please understand we only want to help.

I didn't mean you personally but I thought I asked the right and enough questions on what to do.

Any way my fish are in the tank now, hopefully they'll survive just like the goldfish did, which is now at the pet shop waiting for a new home!

That's ok. The only thing that concerned me about you adding the fish was the cycling of the tank. Just make sure you keep a close check on your ammonia levels. If you go to the beginners resource centre you wll find some really good info on fish-in tank cycling. If you get stuck then people will be here to help.

That's ok. The only thing that concerned me about you adding the fish was the cycling of the tank. Just make sure you keep a close check on your ammonia levels. If you go to the beginners resource centre you wll find some really good info on fish-in tank cycling. If you get stuck then people will be here to help.

Gonna do test the morra morning and keep a close eye on it. My master kit is on its way via post, till then I have my separate test. Am I right by saying in the first month of cycling the ammonia and nitrate levels will be high until the bacteria adjust to the amount of fish I have?

Most reactions

Back