My First Tank! Help!

Ryan251

Reaction score
Hey, Im Going To Buy A New Tank For Christmas, And i Have seen this beauty, its a Juwel Rekord 120

This item is a complete system fitted with the correct filter, pump, heater, lighting and background

Rekord 120
Decor: Black
Volume: approx. 120 Litres
Measurements: 101 x 31 x 46 cm
Manufacturer Part Number: 21120

Equipment Supplied:

1 x Juwel Monolux 100 black
1 x Pump Set 400 l/h
1 x Heater 100 Watt/230v UK Model

for £129.99
i understand i have to buy the cabinet separate!

The Tank

So, Would This Be a Good Tank to start me off, or could i get say a much better one for... a bit more £££
Also, i would like to know what would be the best fish to get first, and how many fish would i get for a 120 litre,
im thinking of buying mainly tetra's, all the different colours, and that, with some gentle bigger fish, and
a lot of live plants!

Help Would Be Very Much Appreciated
Ryan

Hey, Im Going To Buy A New Tank For Christmas, And i Have seen this beauty, its a Juwel Rekord 120

This item is a complete system fitted with the correct filter, pump, heater, lighting and background

Rekord 120
Decor: Black
Volume: approx. 120 Litres
Measurements: 101 x 31 x 46 cm
Manufacturer Part Number: 21120

Equipment Supplied:

1 x Juwel Monolux 100 black
1 x Pump Set 400 l/h
1 x Heater 100 Watt/230v UK Model

for £129.99
i understand i have to buy the cabinet separate!

The Tank

So, Would This Be a Good Tank to start me off, or could i get say a much better one for... a bit more £££
Also, i would like to know what would be the best fish to get first, and how many fish would i get for a 120 litre,
im thinking of buying mainly tetra's, all the different colours, and that, with some gentle bigger fish, and
a lot of live plants!

Help Would Be Very Much Appreciated
Ryan

Looks to be a nice tank !

Better than 1st 1 !

I say if u like tetras go with them and maybe a bristlenose pleco or 2 ! and that you got ur tetras and ur bigger gentle fish !

Definately dont get the plecs 1st wait until the tank has definately cycled u could maybe start with a few platies as they are harder than tetras and wouldnt look out of place when your tank is fully stocked

Good Luck

Richie

how many fish will be able to fit into the tank

i have rounded off the cm' to the nearest inch

40x12x18 inches, is that roughly about the right size?

Don't bristle nose plecs get rather large which would them stp you getting more tetras.

The Tank Is Quite Big and would i be able to have 4 lights, 2 on separate circuits, i would like moonlight and daylight lights on separate circuits.

Ryan,

I have a Rekord 120 which I have set up for my two Boys, and made plenty of mistakes on the way.

I would do some research on what type of fish you would like to put in the tank, The Rekord 120 will hold about 30" of Adult fish.

I dont believe you will be able to add any additional lighting to the hood without any major restructuring, I think it comes with a 30 watt daylight tube.

I Think i may add led lights, can i set the tank up before i get the fish, i mean while im waiting for the 2 weeks, can i do the leds and stuff?

Cannot comment on Led`s as I have never used them, but you would be best setting up the tank with live plants and decor and doing a fishless cycle before adding any fish.

Fishless Cycling

I made the mistake of adding fish too early and lost a whole shoal of Barbs.

The juwel tanks are great little systems... Ive had my Juwel 70 running for about 5 months now.

It would however be difficult to add the extra lighting into the hoods without major reconstruction work.

well boys, i found my... kni.... WOMAN!! in shining armour, mums buying this tomorrow

Ferplast Cayman 80 Scenic Professional

Includes bowfronted aquarium and stand with the following features.

3 Step complete filtration system (BluWave05 and BluPower 350 l/h)
BluClima 100W heater.
2 x 18W light tubes.
6mm glass.
Timer for lighting system.
Heater and pump switch.
Safety 'child-proof' closing lid.
Full opening lid with self supporting arm.
Food dispensing housing.
Practical feeding hatch.
Handy upper frame.
Holds 150 Litres.
The stands are exceptionally sturdy and strong thanks to the quality of materials used and are designed to bear the weight of the aquarium when full. The stands also feature a special compartment for external filter and a hole for passing through water tubes.

L 81.5cm

H 52.5cm

W36/46cm

for £300, anyone had problems with this tank before if not, then thanks!

scenic.jpg

Ryan

that looks like a nice tank, not familiar with it so can't help any further than that though!

to work out how many fish you can have there is a basic 'rule'...... although it's more of a guideline really as there are plenty of exceptions.

it's 1" per gallon. so find out the number of us gallons your tank holds, and that's the number of " of fish you can have, worked out on the adult size of the fish.

so to give an example of a standardish community set up here's how you'd work it out

30g tank

6 neon tetra - 6"
3 platys - 6"
6 rummy nose tetras - 6"
6 bronze corys - 12"

30" of fish in total so spot on for a 30g tank.

:)

Most reactions

Back