My First Planted Tank

Depends how you want to do it. You can actually use some types of aquarium compost with the flourite on top. There are special plant substrates from dennerle which do the job.

Apologies I didn't read the post properly. Flourite is ok, but only as a top layer, if you have nothing underneath it doesnt tend to do so well.

If you just want to stick with it and go for liquid fertilization then again Dennerle do a very good range although alot of fertilizers and plant additives are very good these days - Tropica, Tetra and others..

Ben

Your flourite is great for supplying nutrients such as iron to the plant roots.

However you will need a nutrient-rich water column in order for you plants to utilize all that light. If the plants don't utilize the light then algae will.

The ferts mentioned are all good - I use the Dennerle range and find them excellent. BUT they only supply micronutrients (with exception of Potassium in Dennerle E15). You will more than likely need to supply macronutrients. These are basically Nitrates and Phosphates and Potassium (N P K). The vast majority of "off-the -shelf" ferts are nitrate and phosphate (NO3, PO4) free as the old school beleive that they cause algae. This is true for an "average tank" but in a high-nutrient uptake environment such as yours (lots of light, CO2 etc.) then sufficient NO3 and PO4 levels are vital. If they go deficient then the plants stop growing and algae takes hold.

With a tank of your size buying off-the-shelf NO3, PO4 and K ferts would be very expensive. You will need to fertilise a few times a week and get levels to approx. NO3 10 to 30ppm and PO4 0.5 to 2 ppm constant.

Some products that are readily available for N, P and K fert are Kent Botanica Nitro+, Phos+ and K. However I suggest will need to spend a small fortune in order to keep a tank of your size fertilized.

A much cheaper and very effective way would be to use Tom Barr's Estimative Index (EI). Basically this uses dry ferts ("raw" powder form chemicals), Potassium nitrate (KNO3) for N, Potassium phosphate (KH2PO4) for P and Potassium sulphate (K2SO4) for K. You can buy 1kg bags of each that will last you ages. These powders are mixed with water to a set concentration and the solutions are dosed as required. The principle is that not one nutrient goes deficient thus plant growth flourishes and algae doesn't stand a chance.

Check out the Planted section for more detailed advice.

Who said marine was complex? :lol:

gf225 said:
Your flourite is great for supplying nutrients such as iron to the plant roots.

However you will need a nutrient-rich water column in order for you plants to utilize all that light. If the plants don't utilize the light then algae will.

The ferts mentioned are all good - I use the Dennerle range and find them excellent. BUT they only supply micronutrients (with exception of Potassium in Dennerle E15). You will more than likely need to supply macronutrients. These are basically Nitrates and Phosphates and Potassium (N P K). The vast majority of "off-the -shelf" ferts are nitrate and phosphate (NO3, PO4) free as the old school beleive that they cause algae. This is true for an "average tank" but in a high-nutrient uptake environment such as yours (lots of light, CO2 etc.) then sufficient NO3 and PO4 levels are vital. If they go deficient then the plants stop growing and algae takes hold.

With a tank of your size buying off-the-shelf NO3, PO4 and K ferts would be very expensive. You will need to fertilise a few times a week and get levels to approx. NO3 10 to 30ppm and PO4 0.5 to 2 ppm constant.

Some products that are readily available for N, P and K fert are Kent Botanica Nitro+, Phos+ and K. However I suggest will need to spend a small fortune in order to keep a tank of your size fertilized.

A much cheaper and very effective way would be to use Tom Barr's Estimative Index (EI). Basically this uses dry ferts ("raw" powder form chemicals), Potassium nitrate (KNO3) for N, Potassium phosphate (KH2PO4) for P and Potassium sulphate (K2SO4) for K. You can buy 1kg bags of each that will last you ages. These powders are mixed with water to a set concentration and the solutions are dosed as required. The principle is that not one nutrient goes deficient thus plant growth flourishes and algae doesn't stand a chance.

Check out the Planted section for more detailed advice.

Who said marine was complex? :lol:
[snapback]861500[/snapback]​

I like the sound of this!!! - over to the planted section...

Latest Picture (only 1 light is on)

IMG_0700_small.JPG

Wow, it's simply gorgeous :drool:
Also, your avatar makes me crack up every time I catch a glimpse of it :lol:

Synirr said:
Wow, it's simply gorgeous :drool:
Also, your avatar makes me crack up every time I catch a glimpse of it :lol:
[snapback]880447[/snapback]​

if you like that have a look at my website, I started it when i was setting up my reef tank. As you will notice, it needs updating!

My Webpage

(hold your mouse over the fish and click!)

Most reactions

Back