My First Nano!

xweeqtx

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I always swore I wouldn't go salty, but other half loves them and I secretly do too. Suprisingly, nothing has been difficult yet(the reason I never wanted to do it as it all seemed so confusing). Guess you could say I've got a mini nano, it's only 10 gallons but perfect size for me. I'm more into the corals than livestock, so I haven't really thought about stocking at all. Plus, still a long way off from that and I don't really have a great deal of choice with this size of tank anyway! Just rearranged the rocks as it wasn't quite right, and there's a Tunze Nanostream 6025 powerhead in there that might be overkill, but it's aimed directly at the back middle of the rockwork so it does break up the flow quite a bit. Also a V2 Nano Skimmer. No filter as of yet, but was just thinking of getting one of those small HOB ones and switching the media inside it. Rockwork still isn't perfect.

Excuse the crappy pics, taken with my phone as I'm too lazy to find the camera batteries :blush:

DSC00314.jpg

:hi: to the salty side - it's a grand place to be :good:

I'm really liking your aquascape :nod:

A couple of things:

There doesnt appear to be any surface agitation - there needs to be
if you paint the back of your tank black it helps to hide wires etc
can i suggest you move the heater behind the rock, less to see then
can i suggest you move your powerhead to the back, pointing forward so that the flow hits the front glass and bounces back through the live rock

what are your test results like?

A great start :good: keep us updated, we love watching new tanks evolve

Seffie x

:fish:

:hi: to the salty side - it's a grand place to be :good:

I'm really liking your aquascape :nod:

A couple of things:

There doesnt appear to be any surface agitation - there needs to be
if you paint the back of your tank black it helps to hide wires etc
can i suggest you move the heater behind the rock, less to see then
can i suggest you move your powerhead to the back, pointing forward so that the flow hits the front glass and bounces back through the live rock

what are your test results like?

A great start :good: keep us updated, we love watching new tanks evolve

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie :)

The skimmer is producing some surface agitation, but not a huge amount. Planned on using the HOB filter for this job, will be getting that sorted tonight.
And yep, now I've finally got the rocks the way they look alright I can sort out hiding stuff hehe. On the powerhead, do you mean like positioned above the very top rock aiming forwards? The only problem I had with it not being directly pointed at the rocks was it made a kinda whirlpool in the tank, I think it is too powerful to be honest, might just have to swap it for a smaller one. But I'll try you're suggestion first and see how it is :)

Salinity is spot on, stable at 1.025 since it was set up on Saturday. Only had one change a few hours after it was set up, fixed it and it's been fine now. Temp sitting nicely at 26 degrees celsius. As for all the usual test results, I'm avoiding doing them for a few days LOL. One reason being is I'm waiting for payday to buy the decent kits as all the bits and bobs in the tank set me back quite a bit then of course, I'll start getting impatient if I start testing now.. at least if I wait a few days it will seem less time ;)

Can't seem to find anything on what "ideal" levels of Magnesium, Calcium etc should be, anywhere I can read up on ideal levels for each test?

Ooo Cara!
Didnt think you would go marines lol.
Fair play to you though, I will be following this with interest.
And you dont need a filter - Your live rock is the filter.

YF

Haha, I know YF. Other half persuaded me, and to be honest it hasn't been half as much hassle as I expected :)
Yeah, know about the filter, will just be replacing media with bioballs, would rather have both biological and mechanical as it's such a small volume of water to work with.

Just did my first tests. How's it looking for being day 4 of the tank being set up?

PH: 7.7 (Does this need to be higher?)
Nitrite: 0.05 mg/l
Nitrate: 5mg/l
Ammonia: 0.1 mg/l
SG: 1.025
Temp: 26 degrees celsius

Just did my first tests. How's it looking for being day 4 of the tank being set up?

PH: 7.7 (Does this need to be higher?)
Nitrite: 0.05 mg/l
Nitrate: 5mg/l
Ammonia: 0.1 mg/l
SG: 1.025
Temp: 26 degrees celsius

excellent start, you are in your cycle - woo hoo

If you intend having corals, bring the sg up to 1.026 :good:

As long as you are using a good salt and have no stoney corals your calcium and mag will be fine. Just ensure that when you are cycled, do a big water change 50% and then do a 25% change each week and you will be fine :good:

Seffie x

Cheers Seffie :good:
Another quick question, am I better drip acclimatising CUC/Corals/Fish or doing the half a cup of water every 15 mins, emptying 1/3 and repeating method?
I'm thinking I may have a problem with using the drip method due to the fact I have a horrible two year old son and a 9 month old daughter who is at the "investigate everything" stage LOL But whatever is better for the wee guys, I'll somehow work round it. If someone had a link to setting up a drip method, would be great too :)

Most reactions

Back