My First Fish!

robmol

Reaction score
Went to have a look in a aquarium shop i hadnt been to before today, and was shocked at how cheap everything was compared to the place i used to go!

The woman recommended i get a plec on its own first so i went for a baby bristlenose, apparently theyre good algae eaters?

Anyway heres the pics:

Photo-0042.jpg

Photo-0043.jpg

hasnt moved a muscle since i popped it in but has taken a liking to a pebble, and wont stop sucking it :blink:

Congratulations! - male or female? Mine was tiny about 2cms when I first got her but they eat like a horse and grow like the clappers and shes now about 8cm long! Do you have your algae wafers and weighted 'screwcumber' ready to be able to feed her the veg she is going to need?

Hopefully also your tank is cycled?

not sure on the sex yet, the males are longer and thinner arent they? Yep got some plecowafers. yeah been cycling for a few weeks and all the tests came out really well. Nearly ended up with a little turtle tank though! Took my girlfriend and she had her heart set on these tiny little turtles (cant remember what they were called).

Cant wait to go back next week and choose some more :hyper:

he/she still hasnt moved though! is this normal? i guess it must be quite stressful for them being fished out of their tank and a half hour drive back

As they mature if it is a male it will grow lots of spikey bristles - if its a female it will only have a couple or none at all. They are maily active at night when the tank lights go off. Once he/she settles in you should see her scutting around at odd times now and again during the day. you will need to feed fresh veg though not just wafers.

Best not to add more fish if your tank is not fully cycled. What are your water stats?

thanks, looks like its a male then as theres already a few little bristles around his nose!

did you use ammonia to cycle the tank out of interest

looks really cool - really nice plec!!

Yes, agree with the other members, the usual definition of the "end of cycling" is once you can add 5ppm tank concentration of ammonia and then within 12 hours test it and find that you have zero ppm ammonia and zero ppm of nitrite(NO2) and that you have repeated this for a number of days without seeing traces of either ammonia or nitrite at the 12 hour mark.

Otherwise, if you didn't know about this, you are in a "fish-in" cycling situation and will need to monitor closely and perform frequent water changes. Both techniques of cycling are written up in our Beginners Resource Center.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back