My Females

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I managed to persuade my husband to let me play with his camera and here are the results. Sorry about the odd arrangement, I'm still trying to get the hang of this!

First is Amethyst - she has a purple sheen all over her body
View attachment 50606

Next is Opal
View attachment 50607

Then Ruby
View attachment 50608

The last 2 don't have names as I only got them on Thursday. They were sold as CT and I have a question about them.

View attachment 50609

View attachment 50610

The second one has the same shape fins as the first, the picture is a bit too fuzzy to see properly.

The 2 possible CTs were bred by a woman who works in the shop. When I saw them, they looked like their ventral fins were clamped to their bodies. But looking at them with a magnifying glass over the last couple of days, it's obvious their ventrals are missing. Not just bitten off but never there! So the question is, are they CT and is it possible for them to have been born without ventrals?

All opinions welcome.

They are beauts, i'd love to breed my taj with your first CT :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm seeing clear vents in the pics as well.
All of your girls are gorgeous.
I especially love Opal :wub:
Unnamed first CT girl comes in at a close 2nd though. She looks just like my male CT Rex :D

I managed to persuade my husband to let me play with his camera and here are the results. Sorry about the odd arrangement, I'm still trying to get the hang of this!

The last 2 don't have names as I only got them on Thursday. They were sold as CT and I have a question about them.

View attachment 50609

View attachment 50610

The second one has the same shape fins as the first, the picture is a bit too fuzzy to see properly.

All opinions welcome.

Coral? Garnet? Scarlett? all your girls are so perfect!

Thank you for your kind words. I had more or less decided on Coral as a name for the darker CT, couldn't think of a gemstone that was cream and red for the other one!

View attachment 50636

Here is a photo I took of Coral this morning. It shows her underside quite well. The lump in front of her anal fin is just that, a lump. Still can't see any sign of ventral fins. Since both of them are like that and they are from the same spawn, any defect must be genetic? If they just developed wrong in the egg, it would be unlikely for there to be two, I would have thought. There were only 3 of them left in the shop (the other one was hiding under the filter and even the owner said she didn't look too well) so I'm beginning to think this is why they hadn't already been sold.

It doesnt matter to me if they aren't quite perfect. They seem healthy, inquisitive and very active. I don't intend trying to breed them, so any possible genetic problem won't be passed on - my husband has a hard enough time coping with just 3 tanks!!

EDIT I've forgotten to mention the 2 that won't keep still for a photo. Topaz it a pale bluey turquoise and Heliotrope is a mixture of dark greeny turquoise and red.

Most reactions

Back