My Dwarf Flag Cichlids Have Bred And I Had No Idea!

Imogen

Reaction score
The question is, is how do I look after the fry? I've bred many fish species before but have never bred Cichlids.
They have laid all there eggs all over the leaves and are guarding them but, I really want them to survive so could i put the eggs in a breeding net on the side of the tank? What do i do from there?
Since last night about 2 thirds of the eggs are gone, could they have hatched? Or is it more likely they have been eaten?
Thankyou, Imogen.

What else is in the tank with them? They're secretive souls so it's not entirely surprising to miss the breeding. Top of my list with eggs going missing are other fish, especially catfish, and mainly at night.

There were about 100 eggs an now only about 20. I have Neon and Cardinal tetras, bonze, peppered and panda cory cat fish, honey gourami and a male dwarf gourami.
What should i do with the remaining eggs then?
Thanks

I would leave them be for now and let the parents get practise that way when they breed next time more will survive :) Cichlids are brilliant parents and as much as its an instinct most new parents need to learn to get the brood through to an age where they can survive.

If you want to breed them properly though you are best of getting a separate tank for the young to raise them in as some of the other fish could eat the youngsters

Wills

But do youi need to do anything different? How do they eat? What if you dont have a separate tank will they ever survive so that you end up with fully grown fish?

Watermania,

I doubt any of the 20 have survived.  The thing about Rams is that since they are so protective of their eggs/fry at first, most folks assume the parents want to raise and protect them - you know, like good parents would.  I breed rams and have had thousands of eggs/fry and now fish...and never once have any of the fry survived being left with the parents past the 2 week point.  Every once in a while I still leave the eggs...just hoping the pair will be better parents but so far none have been.

It's as if the parents start out with good intentions, then one day one of them gets the munchies and...oh, look!  There's a handy snack right here!  Or, if other fish are constantly trying to 'snack' on the fry, the parents will eat them themselves - as if to say, 'ok, well, if anybody to get the snacks it's gonna be me! 

In my experience, unless one has ram eggs coming out their ears already, if you want to have any survivors, you'll have to remove the eggs or as many of the fry as you can and raise them yourself.

Raising the fry is definitely the most tricky of the whole process.

Most reactions

Back