My Cyps Finally Got There

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
I was sat having a cuppa this morning whie watching my Tang tank and saw a pair of cyps finally doing the biz :D :D

I was mesmerized at how the male uses the white tips on his ventrical fins and kind of gently nibbles at the females back end to encourage her to release her eggs. So I now have at least 1 female who has a mouthful of eggs, happy days! :D :D :D

Haha, I bet you nearly spat your coffee out when you realised what they were doing :hyper: . Congrats, I hope she holds well!

She doesn`t look much bigger at the moment so I`m not sure that she`s holding a lot of eggs, I saw her release and catch 6 eggs but they carried on when I went up to shower so there may be loads more :unsure: I`ll try and get some pics up soon :good:

I`m hoping that now one pair has started, the rest will follow. Fingers are crossed that this female will hold ok as I know there aren`t many of the Utinta cyps around :D

They are all about the same age aren't they? I'd have thought that the others would follow suit soon what with all those hormones flying around the tank. Good luck and keep us posted!

Congrats on the display, cool to watch. . . .
Even nicer in a week or two when you can see all the small pairs of eyes under her big baggy chin :lol:
Cheers, Sean

They are all about the same age aren't they? I'd have thought that the others would follow suit soon what with all those hormones flying around the tank. Good luck and keep us posted!

Yes they are so hopefully the rest wil catch on and get the biz done too :lol: Will update on how things are going
:good:

Even nicer in a week or two when you can see all the small pairs of eyes under her big baggy chin :lol:
Cheers, Sean

It`s great to watch, very entertaining :good:

How long did your cyps hold for Sean? is it likely to be approx 4 weeks like the malawi?
I`m looking forward to seeing the fry hatch and be held, I`m hoping that they`ll be ok when spat as the ventralis seem to like eating whatever fry the punks produce :huh:

Yes they are so hopefully the rest wil catch on and get the biz done too :lol: Will update on how things are going
:good:

Cheers, Sean

It`s great to watch, very entertaining :good:

How long did your cyps hold for Sean? is it likely to be approx 4 weeks like the malawi?
I`m looking forward to seeing the fry hatch and be held, I`m hoping that they`ll be ok when spat as the ventralis seem to like eating whatever fry the punks produce :huh:
3-4 weeks, I had females holding at any point in time though, was very lucky, you will know when you see all the eyes under the mouth, I felt stripping was to stressful and was scared of damaging or killing the mother. I have since been told the best way is to seperate her into her own tank nearer the time, she will spit naturally, then keep her in woth the fry for 1-2 weeks to allow her time to recover before reintroducing her to the main tank.
Mine spat when placed in a bucket, without stripping, also seen 1 or 2 spit fry next to the breeding net that already had fry in it. . . .
Think the top option is best of you want to keep them though, hope this helps, sorry for ranting on as usual :lol:
Cheers, Sean :good:

3-4 weeks, I had females holding at any point in time though, was very lucky, you will know when you see all the eyes under the mouth, I felt stripping was to stressful and was scared of damaging or killing the mother. I have since been told the best way is to seperate her into her own tank nearer the time, she will spit naturally, then keep her in woth the fry for 1-2 weeks to allow her time to recover before reintroducing her to the main tank.
Mine spat when placed in a bucket, without stripping, also seen 1 or 2 spit fry next to the breeding net that already had fry in it. . . .
Think the top option is best of you want to keep them though, hope this helps, sorry for ranting on as usual :lol:

No that`s great thanks :good: :good:

I think the option of separating the female would be the best one but it would mean removing the ocean rock and chasing around the tank, I think that may be too stressful for them. Difficult one really because I would love to be able to keep the fry :unsure:

No that`s great thanks :good: :good:

I think the option of separating the female would be the best one but it would mean removing the ocean rock and chasing around the tank, I think that may be too stressful for them. Difficult one really because I would love to be able to keep the fry :unsure:

It was stripping down the tank and "chasing" them with a net I hated, I just felt it stressed all the tank inhabitants (and keeper) to much . . . .
I eventually bought 2 HUGE nets, one at one end of the tank and one slowly from the other end, just meant catching everything :grr:
Once they start though I'm sure they will be fine :good:

Most reactions

Back