My Cycling Plan

razberri

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a 65L tank yesterday, put new gravel and two plants (one new, one from my other tank) in it and filled it with water, added water conditioner, and turned on the heater and filter.

I currently have a 17L tank running with fish in it and one plant.

Today I went to a pet shop to buy ammonia and a test kit but instead of even telling me if they have ammonia the girl convinced me to get bacteria (Bio Booster). She forgot to mention bacteria need ammonia.. something I didn't learn until reading all the forums afterwards. And rather than buy 4 different test kits at $20 each I decided to go for the store's free testing option instead (which means I can't do it as often).

I've also now read on this forum that you can put in used filter medium and fish at the same time to kick start the whole cycling thing.

So here's my game plan:

Take the filter from my established tank (it's a disposable cartridge stick on the wall type) and stick it in the new tank. Have both filters running. Transfer all gravel, decorations, remaining fish and plant into the new tank, but keep the water in the small tank just in case (hopefully at least a tiny bit of bacteria will remain). Add more bacteria to the new tank (have already added some today)

See how it all goes and test water everyday. If chem levels look bad or fish behave oddly, put them back in small tank and put the filter back. (problem with backup plan: what if old filter bacteria die from new tank water?)

Oh, and the new tank has several tiny snails (that were attached to my new plant) in there as well as a mystery snail - I was hoping he'd kickstart it all. I've dropped some veggies and fish food in for him to eat. I'd read somewhere that you can cycle a tank using fish food so I'm hoping this has a double effect.

Will it work???????

I will address a few issues in a second once i complete my search for Bio Booster.

I have not really done a load of research on the product but did find this description.

They dont mention what the nitrifiers are which is worrying, it is generally accepted now that there are two nitrifers, Nitrospira spp and Nitrobacter spp that work, albeit Nitropira spp is more geared towards the sort of conditions the home aquarist will encounter when cycling. I wont go into the ins and outs of the nitrifiers but if you search the forum you will find more than enough information to come to a personal conclusion.

My advice would be this:

If you have the time to do a full fishless cycle, which in some instance can take between 4-6 weeks, shorter is you can get mature media which you appear to have, you may be better off.

Take a look at the stickies on the forum, read other poeples posts and opinions and you can make a choice which is suitable to your own personal circumstances.

My own thoughts on Bio Booster? Well i wouldnt touch it myself for reasons of personal choice which i am sure people will highlight in this thread no doubt.

I will add that the Bio Booster was on the shelf - which made me extremely sceptical as I would have thought bacteria would need the right temperature to survive. But I'd read here that people add bacteria to tanks and since that was their only option I thought I'd give it a shot. NOw I'm reading mroe I'm realising the stuff you guys all add is refridgerated :crazy:

I will add that the Bio Booster was on the shelf - which made me extremely sceptical as I would have thought bacteria would need the right temperature to survive. But I'd read here that people add bacteria to tanks and since that was their only option I thought I'd give it a shot. NOw I'm reading mroe I'm realising the stuff you guys all add is refridgerated :crazy:

Well i had information supplied to me from the Directeur Commercial of SOL who supply a well known nitrifying bacteria and he stated the bacteria can withstand not being refridgerated for as long as 4-5 days and still be effective. After this time their effectiveness dramatically reduces. They are refridgerated to increase the lifespan. This was in response to a complaint i made about an online vendor mailing out a well know nitrifying product without an refridgeration.

I am not sure if this applies to all similiar products, but i would not bank on it.

I would try the product now that you have it and encourage you to document your process on the forum in the same way that many other member have documented their cycling. It will go a long way in helping others make informed choices.

Well i had information supplied to me from the Directeur Commercial of SOL who supply a well known nitrifying bacteria and he stated the bacteria can withstand not being refridgerated for as long as 4-5 days and still be effective. After this time their effectiveness dramatically reduces.

The expiry on the bottle is 2010 :blink:

It only states that it contains "selected natural microorganisms (bacteria)".

I'd rather avoid waiting 4-6 weeks! I stupidly bought 2 cories who are now living in my tiny tank which was stocked to full capacity already (if not overstocked). I was under the impression cycling would take maybe a couple of days and then they'd be able to move into the big tank and have all the freedom they need. Ok, so I was very, very wrong:( I feel like a horrible fishy-mum:( So that's why I want to get my fish into the tank ASAP. I made a big mistake but it's done now and there's nothing I can do about it - apart from getting the fish into their new home as soon as I can. I was considering moving only my 4 tetras into the big tank. That would create enough room for the other fishies. I'm not sure how hardy black neons are though?

I was told that a tank my size wouldn't need cycling. So many conflicting opinions!!! I never cycled my 17L as I was completely unaware of this process. My fighter fish has been alive for almost a year now even though I've always completely emptied out and scrubbed out the tank each water change (I can hear people cringing and tsk-tsking forum-wide). But then again if a fighter can survive in an unheated, unfiltered tiny jar he should be able to survive anything...

The more I read the more confused I am:(

So many people hae said they just put an old filter medium in there and put fish in and off they go. If I do that, and have very regular water changes (say 10% daily) - my fish should be ok, right?

Most reactions

Back