My Cycle Is Complete! Just Making Sure...

tameem

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, everyone after so much drama in the household, I am happy to say the cycle is complete!
it took at least a month, and I had fish from the beginning.

fI was only testing for ammonia and nitrites for the entire time, although occassionaly pH. For a awhile, the only reading I was getting was ammonia, at around .50, on a daily basis. After a few weeks, I noticed nitrite readings, .25. Then, at some point soon after, for a good week and a half or so, nitrites were at around 1.0!! I was doing daily water changes of about 20%. I did notice a little less ammonia at that point, probably .25. Then, last few days, nitrites started to go down. Just yesterday it was like at .25, and this morning its at 0!

I want to make sure that the conclusion I have drawn is correct here based on my daily testing for abot a month and a half.
Feedback please.

Oh, i dont know if this sped things up, but a week ago I added two new cartidges into my filter; it has a slot for an additional filter media.

As long as you didn't remove any of the maturing media, you will not have hurt the cycle by adding more. I am surprised that you got away with only 20% daily but you allowed the levels to get higher than I would have so maybe that's why it didn't take as much water. How high are the nitrates in the tank now that other things have settled down? You will want to sample for them to make sure that your normal water changes are big enough and often enough.

That's a good point as far as how much to change. I never check for nitrates, as I thought really it was a waste of time as long as you are doing your water changes. so I cant say what my nitrate levels are.

I plan to buy an API Nitrate test kit. What levels are unsafe? The color chart it includes never tells you what the danger level is. I thought doing a 25% water change every two weeks, or 10% a week should keep that level low. But then again, nitrates are not nearly as toxic and can be tolerated by most fish to low to moderate levels, but not high concentrations, so I figured my water change amount was adequate.

Thanks for reply.

Most reactions

Back