My Cpds Have Spawned!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fm1978

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got a very cool surprise this afternoon!

My CPDs had obviously spawned in my shrimp tank before I took them out and now I can see at least 4/5 wee tiny fry darting around! I'm over the moon as I didn't think the conditions were right for them in there, which is why I moved them in the 1st place. Woohoo!

Can anyone tell me what I need to do with them? Is liquifry good enough? They're very much smaller than my guppy fry and I don't think crushed flakes are going to be small enough. They must have been getting by on my powdered shrimp food.

Any info would be most appreciated!

Wow, congratulations!

Have you got live plants in the tank? If you do, you don't need to worry too much about feeding them until they get a bit bigger; there'll be plenty of micro-organisms for them to eat.

Green water, if you have somewhere outside you can stand some jars, is great for really tiny fry for the first week or so. Liquifry is okay, but does tend to foul the water.

Green water is good for the first few days, I used to use Hikari first bites then bbs after that for mine

I've got quite a lot of flame moss, moss balls, a small banana plant sprout and some riccia - it's a bit of a mess but I can't tidy it as I've got a new batch of shrimplets and I'm not risking cutting down my greenery in case I lose any.

I only noticed this afternoon after coming back from lunch so I'll just keep feeding crushed flakes and the fine shrimp powder. It's a much cooler tank at 21C so I'm a little concerned about that - any ideas? I've got a guppy fry tank (22L) at home and a 200L community tank, so I'd have to use a fry net...don't know what to do?!?! 

I'll try the green water...do the containers need to be covered or prepared in any special way?

Whoo, congrats!

Thats the kind of surprise i like :)

CPD's spawning, wow, nice one.

Cant really give any advice, just wanted to say congrats and good luck.

I wouldn't worry about the temp; it's within their normal range, so shouldn't be an issue.

Green water is easy; just fill some clean containers with dechlorinated or, even better, some old tank water, and put them in the sunniest place you can find. You don't want to cover them, as you want all the airborne spores to get in.

But, to be honest, they'll probably just be fine if you carry on as you're doing now; messy tanks, overgrown with plants, are actually the very best tanks for tiny fry. When I used to breed, I had loads of little tanks on my windowsills for rearing small fry, all filled with masses and masses of Java moss; most of them were almost completely full of it
smile.png

I know, I'm mega chuffed! Didn't think there was a chance in there as it almost solely focused on being shrimp specific. Then I decided it wasn't fair on the CPDs so I got them out and they're now much much happier in my 200L at home. Their behavior is totally different so I think I've been doing them a disservice all this time...sorry wee fishes!

I found my Cpd's were better at lower temperatures, I kept mine at around 21/22 & they were spawning regularly, they've probably spawned before but you haven't seen any fry as they will eat both their eggs & fry

Lillefishy said:
I found my Cpd's were better at lower temperatures, I kept mine at around 21/22 & they were spawning regularly, they've probably spawned before but you haven't seen any fry as they will eat both their eggs & fry
That's good to know about the temp! Excellent... I'll try leaving a glass of tank water outside over the weekend and see what happens.

No advice to offer but wanted to tell you congratulations! That's very exciting :D

Wow! Congratulations, fm!

happybday.gif
 little CPD fry!!
Hope you'll post some pictures as soon as they are big enough!!  

Most reactions

Back