My Cory Catfish Has A Red Stomach And Mouth

Colin_11

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I bought a Peppered Cory catfish about a week ago from petsmart, and he was doing fine, swimming around and eating well. Until last night I noticed his stomach and mouth are very red, I think maybe internal bleeding? I took him out of my tank and put him in a separate container, and he'll float up to the top upside down, then when I tap him he'll like wake up and swim around some before repeating the process. Anyone know what this is?

What type of substrate do you have? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
What's your water change schedule (amount & %), and do you vacuum when you do it?

I have a gravel substrate and I'm taking the water to be tested today, I'll get back to you on that. I change about 50% of the water a week and no I don't vacuum.

The water is perfect, and the rest of the fish in my tank are fine so I don't know what it could be?

I had this problem once, the gravel was too rough for them. I actually lost three fish because of this. They're very delicate, and prefer sand. If possible you should consider changing to sand substrate, or moving them to a tank with sand.
Also, what does "perfect" mean? We'd prefer if you give us the actual ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

The ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and the nitrates are at 10.

Colin_11 said:
I have a gravel substrate and I'm taking the water to be tested today, I'll get back to you on that. I change about 50% of the water a week and no I don't vacuum.

I think this right here is your issue.  Cories are best on sand, not gravel and if there's food down in between the rocks they can and will harm themselves in an effort to get it.  No vacuuming in that instance can also lead to bacterial infections, as an open wound can easily get infected, as they spend the vast majority of their time on the substrate.

If you want my advice, I'd remove the gravel substrate and replace it with sand.  That would help keep any other cories from getting into trouble.  Meanwhile, with this one fish, a bare bottom tank is best for now.  LOTS of water changes.  This fish will require very clean water to recover.  I'm not sure about how to treat this fish beyond that as they are fairly sensitive to medications.  I'll have to consider that a bit more.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've moved the hurt Cory to a separate tank with a bare bottom as suggested and will change the substrate. He's not doing to well and I don't think he'll make it but thanks for the advice so it doesn't happen again.

Colin, what size is your tank and how long is it running ? Did you only get one Cory ?

Keeping half of my Corys on gravel. No problem or what so ever.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

I have a 25 galleon tanks and its been running a while, I've had it practically forever, and yes I only got one Cory.

Colin_11 said:
I have a 25 galleon tanks and its been running a while, I've had it practically forever, and yes I only got one Cory.
With (other) fish Colin.
Corys are social schooling fish. Though it isn't the cause of this, they definitely need mates of their own species.

I have a couple other fish, a betta and guppy and I'll next time I'll get a couple corys so they can school.

Colin_11 said:
...next time I'll get a couple corys so they can school.
 Cories need to be in a group of at least six, with more being better. And this needs to be 6+ of the same species. If you mix species, you need several of each species, making a lot more than 6.

What were you feeding it Colin?

essjay said:
...next time I'll get a couple corys so they can school.
 Cories need to be in a group of at least six, with more being better. And this needs to be 6+ of the same species. If you mix species, you need several of each species, making a lot more than 6.
6 of each so 36 Corys. Not a good plan I think. In this tank only keep one species!

Most reactions

Back