My black Moore lost its eye!!!!

FishKeeper72

Reaction score
This morning, everything was fine, all fish looked good. I walk out of the room for 30 mins, came back, and BAM! My black Moore was missing an eye. I have no idea how this happened šŸ˜°. Any suggestions on what to do? I was going to see if he would survive, but if he showed any signs of death, I would just euthanize.

I have a 75 gallon tank. 4 goldfish, 4 dojo loaches, and 1 snail.
Nitrite and nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0
Kh: 180
Gh: 30
Ammonia: 0

Please help, I need answersā€¦.

Attachments

• EDD593A6-D246-45A5-9B06-FB26B66AFBDB.jpeg
    EDD593A6-D246-45A5-9B06-FB26B66AFBDB.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 3BFB4D6E-5FB7-4166-98C5-BBCA668BC6C2.jpeg
    3BFB4D6E-5FB7-4166-98C5-BBCA668BC6C2.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 66785525-0C05-4747-B056-7BFF2A8F3182.jpeg
    66785525-0C05-4747-B056-7BFF2A8F3182.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 47
  • FF3A4748-A473-45E1-B654-937BA6ECB2D3.jpeg
    FF3A4748-A473-45E1-B654-937BA6ECB2D3.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 56
This morning, everything was fine, all fish looked good. I walk out of the room for 30 mins, came back, and BAM! My black Moore was missing an eye. I have no idea how this happened šŸ˜°. Any suggestions on what to do? I was going to see if he would survive, but if he showed any signs of death, I would just euthanize.

I have a 75 gallon tank. 4 goldfish, 4 dojo loaches, and 1 snail.
Nitrite and nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0
Kh: 180
Gh: 30
Ammonia: 0

Please help, I need answersā€¦.
OH MY GOODNESS! You weren't joking about a missing eye... Have you ever seen any aggression play out in the tank? Even if you havent, sometimes smaller fish get "bullied" to death... Another possibility could have been that it literally stabbed its eye out on something... From the pics I cant see anything that seems like it could have done that but if you know of anything he couldve penetrated his eye on, let us know.

The thing that is really bugging me though is that its like his actual eye ball was just removed... I dont see any other damages around it... It literally looks like it was just pulled out completely. If it was just stabbed, the eyeball probably would have remained unless it was gripped on or something. And if it was a fish showing aggression, fish dont take eyeballs out like that... They dont have anything to grip onto it and pull besides mouths... This would be gruesome if so but do you have any large shrimps or crayfish? It may have pulled its eye out strangely o_O

OH MY GOODNESS! You weren't joking about a missing eye... Have you ever seen any aggression play out in the tank? Even if you havent, sometimes smaller fish get "bullied" to death... Another possibility could have been that it literally stabbed its eye out on something... From the pics I cant see anything that seems like it could have done that but if you know of anything he couldve penetrated his eye on, let us know.

The thing that is really bugging me though is that its like his actual eye ball was just removed... I dont see any other damages around it... It literally looks like it was just pulled out completely. If it was just stabbed, the eyeball probably would have remained unless it was gripped on or something. And if it was a fish showing aggression, fish dont take eyeballs out like that... They dont have anything to grip onto it and pull besides mouths... This would be gruesome if so but do you have any large shrimps or crayfish? It may have pulled its eye out strangely o_O
I donā€™t have any shrimp or crayfish. I do think that he just was swimming around through the wood and got scared and popped it out somehow. Do you think heā€™ll live?

No idea how it happened, but he should be fine. If it is like an open wound, keep up on water quality so it doesn't get infected. I have a 1 eyed goldfish, we bought it that way. She gets around fine and interacts with the others.

I donā€™t have any shrimp or crayfish. I do think that he just was swimming around through the wood and got scared and popped it out somehow. Do you think heā€™ll live?
Like olive said, it'll live if it doesnt get infected... But that does look pretty gnarly

Done lots of reading on this topic, these fish have very poor eyesight and having sharp objects in the tank, driftwood, rocks etc. can be a problem since they can bump into them. Too bad about your fish, I love black moors!

Most reactions

Back