My Betta's Tank Transformation

Xenosis

Reaction score
Here is the tank, when i first got it, His house has changed alot.

100_0414.jpg

And this is it now:

DSC01393.jpg

What do you think, This is my first planted tank, im using a Walstad planted tank. Bit of sunlight and low wattage, and using topsoil as my substrate, some plants dont grow in it, but other plants just go crazy and overrun the tank.
Anyways questions or comments welcomed :D

P.S There was no design into where the plants were going, i just planted them anywhere to see if they would grow lol

so your tank used to look well cared for and now it doesnt?
cant say im a fan of dirty brown water

What's wrong with you Hawkins!? That's so rude!

And plus, the tank looks alot healthier now that it has multiple live plants.

so your tank used to look well cared for and now it doesnt?
cant say im a fan of dirty brown water

Wow, have you never even heard of tannins before? They are coming from the topsoil under the pea gravel. That is the concept of a Walstad tank. If you know anything about Bettas then you know that they prefer a soft water environment (A.K.A "dirty brown water" by you). When ammonia is in water with a Ph lower than 7, it becomes ammonium. The less toxic form of ammonia, yet still as easily absorbed by plants. Therefore, the betta is in an enviroment it's body is adapted too and there is most likely very little nitrogenous compounds considering the fact that there is a filter and all the plant matter. Also, who cares if it looks well cared for or not if the owner knows that the tank is well cared for. No one asked you to be a fan of "dirty brown water", I'm sorry you like the look of an unnatural tank. Xenosis, your tank is looking great.

Not bad at all Xenosis.

Tbh it looks like algae is just starting to take hold of the tank. From the picture (and it can vary A LOT depending on how the picture was taken), it looks like there is a bit of algae attaching to the glass. The "greenish" tint looks like algae blooms to me.

*shrugs*

I'm not any uber expert on plants. Still playing around with my planted tanks myself (and quietly :p )

It does look sloppy... but when you plant randomly and learn how to manage a proper planted tank on your own, you will certainly be much more creative than most. That's how I started :lol:.

Have fun with it. I'm sure your betta is loving it.

P.S. I like the simplicity and tidiness of the first tank pic a lot..... get back to the basics with your live plants. You are on the right track.

edit: btw... why move the heater to a vertical position in the new tank when it can be hidden by the plants in its previous location?

edit 2: Pics both taken by me seconds apart. "Dirty brown water".... i think not.....

Yeah, Its got a very MILD algae problem.
Im going to replant it and take proper care of it once i started my apprenticeship, funds dont allow XD

But, im going to rip it up soon and then replant it properly lol.
im just experimenting really, ive only been into fish tanks for 3 months IF that

+ my ex girlfriend recently dumped me so i have no motivation for any hobbies at all. :(

im just experimenting really, ive only been into fish tanks for 3 months IF that

+ my ex girlfriend recently dumped me so i have no motivation for any hobbies at all. :(
I only pretend that I know what I'm doing.

GFX design, fish tanks, plants, business ventures.......... I really have no idea what I'm doing. I figure most of the people I encounter don't know either. Makes for a fun sense of being.

3 months into 'fish tanks'..... you are on a very good path. keep it up man
breakups are no fun.... but they can be an opportunity as well. I kid you not.... i broke up with my GF of 2 years when i was a sophomore in College. My world seemed to be at an end, but I'm now pursuing some lucrative ventures that I would have never considered.

Not so say this relates to every relationship;...... not at allll..... but don't view things negatively

Best of luck bud.

thanks Remz.

yeah im working on another tank atm, to get some Laetacara chichlids, planning on breeding them, they will be in a walstad tank too...
I will make a journal soon, and keep you up to date. :D

p.s im going to be changing his home soon in 3 months time, when i get $$ and i start my apprenticeship hehe

Most reactions

Back