My Betta Just Got His Fins Nipped :(

Phenz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My girlfriends tank has 3 danios, 5 harliquins and a betta in it. came home today to find the betta cowering along the bottom of the tank and his tail is kinda torn.

i'm pretty sure it was the danios and i'm going to move him into another tank. i've got a tiny tank, more of a tub - its a 8''x5''x5'' kritter keeper type thing which i stick my fish in when doing tank makeovers and stuff.

I understand that the tank doesn't need to be filtered aslong as there's a 50% water change every week or so.

What should i do about heating the tank? and what temp should it be? I've seen those little heat mat things and could probably get a hold of one tomorrow.

Is the tank he's in big enough for him? he's not a very energetic swimmer but the pot he was in at the shop was much much smaller.

Whats the smallest tank he can be happy in?

I've got a spare 4ft tank which i'm deciding where to put, but i think that might be overkill at this point.

P.S. They've all been in the tank getting along happily for 2 weeks now but we put some new decor in, a fake tree with spiky fake leaves, my girfriend thinks that it might just be he caught his tail on it and thats why its suddenly got a tear in it. could this be the case?

thanks

Why dont you buy a large container? Doesn't look great but does the job.Plus there only a couple of quid :good: :rolleyes:

temp should be about 26-28 C you can get small heaters and small tanks really cheaply especially online. He could have torn it but most likely nipped

yeah at the lfs they have heaters that are like 1cm round And about 5 inch long.You can get 25watts about 6icnh long :good:

I got a couple of my boys in 2 separate plastic containers you get from the cheap shops...they got a lid with small drilled holes in...no heater...I do total water change about every 5 days...they have fresh weed in and bubble nest away happily...hold about same water as the small critter keepers.. :good:

IMHO you shoudl get a 5G. Theyre very cheap,dont take up alot fo room,easy to maintain and the Betta will be much happier.

Most reactions

Back